Technical Operations, Cards
As a platform company powering businesses all over the world, Stripe processes payments, runs marketplaces, detects fraud, helps entrepreneurs start an internet business from anywhere in the world, builds world-class developer-friendly APIs, and more. Card payments makes up the significant majority of Stripe’s payment processing volume. The Cards team owns some of Stripe’s most critical payment flows, and a platform that processes hundreds of billions of dollars in card payments annually. The team works to expand the reach of Stripe’s global payments network, design and implement novel card payment capabilities, and deliver best-in-class reliability and performance.
This function will sit at the intersection between engineers and Stripe’s financial partners, connecting them to ensure that everyone thrives and nothing is lost in translation. We partner closely with various other payment and infrastructure engineering teams to deeply understand and tackle the technical and real-world challenges of Stripe’s payments stack.
On Technical Operations you may:
- Become a domain expert in an area of Stripe’s payments stack
- Handle inquiries from internal Stripes and external partners’ technical teams, often requiring detailed investigation and sometimes code changes
- Engage with Stripe’s financial partners to drive alignment on product usage, troubleshoot and solve technical problems or breakages
- Organize and direct complex technical changes and projects between Stripe and our partners
- Identify and automate inefficient or unnecessary manual processes through code changes, partner agreements, or making and coordinating more complex code changes across Stripe
- Design future anomaly detection systems and tools to ensure that data flowing through our partner and internal systems is reliable and correct
- Collaborate across the company, including engineering, accounting, financial partnerships and product, to trace and account for billions of dollars moving through the Stripe platform
Technical Operations roles are one part coding and one part managing projects. The ideal candidate will have experience in both, but successful candidates may index more highly in one or the other. We work mostly in Ruby and Java. However, languages can be learned: we care much more about your general coding skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework. This role will require getting hands on with SQL and log searching in order to analyze data or debug issues.
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Knowledge of and experience with payment technologies and ecosystem
- Comfort using SQL to navigate Stripe’s data and diagnose the scope and urgency of issues
- Comfort with developer tools (e.g. git), and an ability to make well-scoped code changes in Stripe’s codebase
- Great technical problem-solving skills, with an ability to develop a working understanding of a technical system using a variety of methods. These include (but aren’t limited to): reading/writing code, reading documentation or partner specifications, running debugging programs, reading logs, asking well-formed questions to domain experts, or digging into the raw data through various interfaces
- Great communication skills, with an ability to frame messages appropriately for technical and non-technical audiences, both internal to Stripe and to our external partners
- The will to deliver results, with an ability to establish priorities and reliably execute on solutions (often with hard external deadlines)
- An instinct to produce work that increases the impact of others, and helps us scale and grow (e.g. documentation, tools)
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.