Staff Engineer, Connect
Stripe is working on making the global financial system programmable. This is one of the largest opportunities for impact in the history of computing, on par with the rise of modern operating systems. At the core of this effort is our Stripe Connect product. Connect is programmable infrastructure that allows Stripe users to offer Stripe payments products to their customers, build out a marketplace on top of Stripe, and pay out sellers or service providers globally. Connect makes it easy for users to onboard and verify their customers or service providers, accept payments, flexibly route funds, and manage their accounts.
We’re looking for a developer focused Technical Leader to drive large technical projects across Stripe Connect, Stripe’s largest product. Because of Stripe Connect’s large user base and global availability, your users will be both external–millions of businesses all over the world, including many of the world’s largest and fastest growing technology companies–and internal–teams and products such as Stripe Billing, Stripe Issuing, Stripe Terminal, and Stripe Capital.
This role is critical, not only for Stripe, but for the future of the commercial internet.
As the Technical Lead for Connect, you will:
- Scope and lead large technical projects with enormous impact across many teams at Stripe
- Scrutinize and reason clearly about the technology and architecture choices we make in building Stripe Connect. In many cases, you will be the decider of these decisions
- Directly contribute to core interface design and write code. Serve as a role model for how great software should be written for Stripe as a whole
- Arbitrate critical decisions correctly that fully consider software best practices, Stripe system realities, and numerous stakeholders’ preferences and concerns
- Advise Stripe’s leadership team on key technical considerations related to the future of payments (e.g., on the utility of blockchain technologies). If you’re successful, you will change the trajectory of the payment industry as a whole
- Work effectively cross functionally and
- Teach and mentor the next generation of technical leaders at Stripe
You may be a fit if:
- You have a strong technical background, including 10+ years of experience with system architecture and API design
- You have been a Staff, Principal, or Distinguished Engineer
- You have served as the technical lead across multiple teams within engineering
- You have owned the technical roadmap for large business areas
- You listen well and internalize the best ideas from all over the organization while also setting a vision that others are excited to get behind
- You work well cross-functionally and your co-workers at all levels and across all teams trust you
- You are often cited as the inspiration for engineers that join your teams. Even senior engineers feel that they’re able to learn from you
- Payment experience is a plus but not at all a requirement
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.