Staff Engineer, Application Security
We’re looking for an experienced leader who is excited to lead and mentor both managers and engineers to build world-class security into Stripe products.
You are a development-focused technical leader ready to drive large technical security projects. Our primary customers are external: millions of businesses all over the world and their end users, who trust Stripe with their most sensitive data. You will help us build products that are secure by default. You will champion simple security models and guide our security program to ensure the long-term protection of our users. This is critical not only for Stripe, but for the future of the commercial internet.
As the Technical Lead for Application Security, you will:
- Be a leader of strategy and planning. Set vision and direction for Stripe’s approach to software security.
- Technically define world-class security. Scope and lead large technical projects with enormous impact across many teams.
- Identify security anti-patterns. Reason clearly about the technology and architecture choices we make in building Security at Stripe.
- Directly contribute to core interface design and write code. Serve as a role model for software design and scalable secure systems architecture by developing, sharing, and setting the quality bar for Stripe as a whole.
- Advise Stripe’s leadership team on key technical considerations related to the future of payments security. Change the trajectory of the payment and security industry.
- Arbitrate critical decisions correctly considering software best practices, system realities, and numerous stakeholders’ concerns.
- Own charter-level metrics and goals.
- Mentor and develop other technical leaders; creating opportunities for those around you.
- Autonomously choose to work on problems which bring high leverage to yourself and Stripe.
You may be a fit if:
- You have a strong technical background, including 10+ years of experience with software engineering and systems design.
- You have 5+ years of experience analyzing and improving product and software security at scale.
- You correctly prioritize the largest opportunities to reduce risk.
- You confidently change the trajectory of an organization.
- You have been principally responsible for technical vision across teams building large-scale distributed systems.
- You introduce simple abstractions rather than tracking exceptions.
- You foresee failure modes and champion security models that are durable in terms of future scale, reliability and security needs.
- You listen well and internalize the best ideas from all over the organization while also setting a vision that others are excited to get behind.
- You work well cross-functionally and your co-workers at all levels and across all teams trust you.
- You are often cited as the inspiration for engineers that join your teams. Even senior engineers feel that they will learn from you.
- Payment experience is a plus but not at all a requirement.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.