Strategic Business Development (Payments)
Stripe’s mission is to increase the GDP of the internet. We build economic infrastructure for internet businesses of every size in pursuit of this mission. The Partnerships team is responsible for developing, executing, and managing partnership strategies to provide Stripe users with best in class financial infrastructure and to enable Stripe’s expansion into new geographies and areas of business. Today, Stripe is live in 42+ markets and the Partnerships team is situated across multiple global offices to support Stripe’s growth around the world.
We are looking for a new senior member to join our Payments Business Development team, part of Stripe’s Global Partnerships organization. The candidate will develop and execute a multi-year strategic plan for a subset of Stripe’s largest card network, bank and fintech partner relationships, to position Stripe appropriately in the global financial ecosystem. You will be responsible for complex and first of kind deal negotiation and execution for our payments business. This includes partnerships which continue to support our existing payments products, as well as developing and launching new approaches to faster, more reliable and cost effective payment solutions. The role will require close coordination with product and engineering teams, as well as cross-functional stakeholders including Legal, Finance, Risk, etc., and with external partners’ senior executives.
A successful candidate will have significant experience delivering on complex deal work and strategy. Candidates will have a demonstrated ability to deal with ambiguity; think strategically and analytically about business, product, and technical challenges; and a proven track record of earning trust with and influencing others. Candidates must exhibit a strong sense of ownership, drive to have an impact, and entrepreneurial spirit are musts.
- Manage strategic planning, negotiation and new partnership development for a group of the largest financial institutions, card networks, and fintech providers
- Ensure best-in-class, methodical deal management rooted in milestone management, KPIs and alignment with partners on opportunities of mutual interest
- Develop and grow Stripe’s relationships with partners, including their senior executives
- Leverage industry knowledge to craft and drive both internal and external alignment on thoughtful strategies for forging partnerships between Stripe and financial institutions
- Navigate financial institutions, in partnership with partner management, to execute deals supporting Stripe’s strategy
We’re looking for someone who has:
- 10+ years of partnerships experience and at least 4 years of payments experience
- Thorough understanding of card network and bank industry dynamics and business models
- Strategic and product creativity to collaborate with Stripe leaders to develop new models for global payments systems and networks
- Broad and deep experience executing industry-wide partnership strategies to build innovative product experiences and go to market models
- Experience negotiating commercial deals with top financial institutions, including scaling such deals across multiple partners
- Strong executive presence, with the proven ability to influence senior leaders internally and externally, including at the C level
- An operationally focused mindset, with an ability to lead teams through complex relationship management activities by setting a clear vision, and running tight processes
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.