Staff Product Engineer, Checkout
Stripe was founded to make it easier for developers to accept payments. We’ve solved a small part of that problem, but our ambition is to go much further. For businesses, it’s still too hard to collect payments in every language, currency, payment method, and tax system. For consumers, it’s still too inconvenient to pay, and most online payment forms aren’t completely secure or accessible.
Stripe Checkout is our product designed to solve those problems: it works on behalf of merchants and their customers to remove anything standing in the way of buying online, globally. Checkout will be a large area of investment for Stripe, and one of the primary ways developers use Stripe Payments.
We’re looking for a developer-focused Technical Leader to drive the technical vision and large projects across Checkout. This role is critical, not only for the millions of merchants that use Stripe but their users as well.
- Scope and lead large technical projects with enormous impact across many teams at Stripe
- Serve as a role model for our high engineering standards and bring consistency to the many codebases and processes you will encounter
- Arbitrate critical decisions correctly that fully consider software best practices, Stripe system realities, and numerous stakeholders’ preferences and concerns
- Advise Stripe’s leadership team on key technical considerations related to the future of payments products. If you’re successful, you will change the trajectory of the payment industry as a whole
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization such as experts in product, design, infrastructure, and operations
- Teach and mentor the next generation of technical leaders at Stripe
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Have a strong technical background, including 10+ years of experience with software engineering at a top tier software company
- Listen well and internalize the best ideas from all over the organization while also setting a vision that others are excited to get behind
- Prefer simple solutions and designs over complex ones, and have a good intuition for what is lasting and scalable.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Can stitch together many different services and processes together even if you have not worked with them before
- Can put yourself in the shoes of your users and be a steward of crafting great experiences
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.