Staff Infrastructure Engineer, Efficiency
Build the infrastructure powering economic growth
As an engineer on the Efficiency team, you’ll be a part of a high performing team to optimize our cloud utilization and overall performance of our systems and services. You’ll work cross functionally to analyze, attribute, understand and forecast our long term cloud infrastructure usage and develop cost optimization strategies. This team will help optimize the systems that power our products; and identify bottlenecks in our product design that lead to inefficiencies.
You’ll devise, drive and practice a culture of efficiency across Stripe. We’re looking for people with strong passion for performance, and efficiency with an inquisitive mindset. You should be comfortable to delve in to, investigate, and discover opportunities for improving resource utilization (CPU, memory, disk) across the fleet, and identify architectural improvements to drive systemic efficiency.
Our work has an immediate and measurable impact on the effectiveness and happiness of Stripe engineers. There is a lot of work to do to make Stripe’s platforms more efficient without sacrificing performance, latency, or reliability and we’d love for you to be part of it.
- Design, build, and maintain instrumentation, data pipelines to support data driven decision making
- Plan for and optimize the growth of Stripe infrastructure
- Work across teams at Stripe to help define and implement efficiency projects
- Conduct deep-dives on product design and architecture, in collaboration with various Engineering teams, driving cost optimization initiatives and having a direct impact on product development
- Design, build and maintain systems for automated analysis, and recommend corrective actions
- Optimize code, configuration, and systems to achieve improved utilization and performance
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Experience developing, maintaining and debugging distributed systems built with open source tools
- Experience building infrastructure as a product centered around users’ needs
- Experience optimizing the end to end performance of distributed systems
- Experience with scaling distributed systems in a rapidly moving environment
- Experience with resource optimization in online or batch processing systems
- Experience with performance, utilization monitoring tools in distributed environments
You may be a good fit if you:
- Are comfortable breaking down large, complex systems and identify optimization opportunities
- Implement or utilize tools to evaluate performance, monitor resource utilization of large scale distributed systems
- Make data driven cost performance tradeoffs to influence design decisions
- Build and operate infrastructure, tools that empower developers
It’s not expected that you’ll have deep expertise in every dimension above, but you should be interested in learning any of the areas that are less familiar.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.