Staff Engineer, User Authentication
Pushing the envelope on building world-class authentication infrastructure for Stripe users
Security is a never-ending journey of raising the bar higher and higher. The mission of the User Auth Platform team is to empower users to do more on Stripe, with the peace of mind that their data is secure. To do so, we are providing the core user authentication and authorization services and frameworks that Stripe product engineers leverage consistently across the organization. By abstracting away complexity and enforcing security guarantees, developers will be able to iterate quickly and focus on building while ensuring no compromises on security are made.
We’re looking for a developer-focused staff engineer to lead and mentor both managers and engineers, and steer technical vision and large projects across Security. Because of Stripe’s large user base and global availability, your primary user will be external: millions of businesses all over the world, and extending to their end users who trust Stripe with their most sensitive data. You will do this by supporting engineering teams inside Stripe to build secure by default products. You will have the opportunity to build abstractions, frameworks and libraries that allow developers to focus on their job while security will be done correctly for them under the covers.
This role is critical, not only for Stripe, but for the future of the commercial internet.
- Scope and lead large technical projects with enormous impact across many teams at Stripe
- Scrutinize and reason clearly about the technology and architecture choices we make in building — Security at Stripe. In many cases, you will be the decider of these decisions
- Directly contribute to core interface design and write code. Serve as a role model for software design and scalable systems architecture by developing, sharing, and setting the quality bar for Stripe as a whole
- Arbitrate critical decisions correctly that fully consider software best practices, Stripe system realities, and numerous stakeholders’ preferences and concerns
- Advise Stripe’s leadership team on key technical considerations related to the future of payments security. If you’re successful, you will change the trajectory of the payment and security industry as a whole
- Work effectively cross-functionally
- Teach and mentor the next generation of technical leaders at Stripe
You may be a fit if:
- You have a proven technical background, including 10+ years of experience with software engineering and systems design
- You have been a Staff, Senior Staff, Principal, or Distinguished Engineer
- You have served as the technical lead for a hundred engineers or more
- You have owned the technical roadmap for large business areas
- You listen well and internalize the best ideas from all over the organization while also setting a vision that others are excited to get behind
- You work well cross-functionally and your co-workers at all levels and across all teams trust you
- You are often cited as the inspiration for engineers that join your teams. Even senior engineers feel that they’re able to learn from you
- You prefer simple solutions and designs over complex ones, and have a good intuition for what is lasting and scalable.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.