Staff Engineer, Support Products
Support Products builds the user interfaces and backend infrastructure that let Stripe users talk to Stripe teams thousands of times every day.
Businesses that run on Stripe, from fledgling upstarts to household names, place significant trust in Stripe to accelerate their success. This makes our user-facing teams, and the software layer that connects them with users, mission-critical: users need fast, accurate, contextualized answers to their questions, 24/7, over phone, chat, and email.
The Support Products engineering team builds and improves Stripe’s support experience, including paid support offerings, from end to end: how users get help within our products, how they get in touch with us when they have questions, and how our teams use internal tools to answer those questions. We’re accountable for the quality and reliability of this support stack and we use data and firsthand user research to continuously improve it. We’re a small, distributed team of capable, friendly, user-oriented engineers and we partner closely with Stripe’s world-class design, product, infrastructure, and operational teams. Providing great support to users of all sizes is culturally important to everyone at Stripe.
- Build, operate, and improve support products for all of Stripe’s users, from one-person startups to Premium Support users and large enterprises.
- Own problems from end to end, managing complexity and engaging directly with cross-functional stakeholders to think through everything from business impact, to reliability and operability, to the pixel-perfection of individual support interactions.
- Scope and lead large technical projects with enormous impact across many teams at Stripe.
- Serve as a role model for our high engineering standards and bring consistency to the many codebases and processes you will encounter.
- Arbitrate and advise Stripe’s leadership team on critical decisions correctly that fully consider software best practices, system realities, and numerous stakeholders’ preferences and concerns.
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization such as experts in product, design, infrastructure, and operations.
- Teach and mentor ICs and managers to become the next generation of leaders at Stripe
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- Have 10+ years of software development experience
- Listen well and internalize the best ideas from all over the organization while also setting a vision that others are excited to get behind.
- Prefer simple solutions and designs over complex ones, and have a good intuition for what is lasting and scalable.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different functions, stakeholders, and subject matter experts.
- Can stitch together many different services and processes together even if you have not worked with them before.
- Take pride in shepherding projects from ideation to completion, where completion often involves partnering with operational teams to carefully roll out changes that affect their workflows.
- Seek out feedback from your users and empathetically advocate for them throughout the product development process.
- Enjoy being a generalist, working on frontend, backend, infrastructure, data pipelines, or billing pipelines as needed to solve problems and delight our users. (You don’t need to be an expert in all of these but it helps to be interested in learning about them.)
You might work on:
- Defining the technical vision and architecture for Stripe’s support products and systems.
- Building engaging, responsive user interfaces that make it truly enjoyable to get help from Stripe. For example, we used React to build a chat UI from the ground up so that it would feel at home in the Stripe Dashboard.
- Scaling the contact platform that connects Stripe users with the teams that are best equipped to help them. This might involve implementing new API endpoints for use across multiple products, iterating on data pipelines to maximize visibility into our support operations, or adding to our billing pipeline so that we can offer paid support plans in new regions.
- Improving the internal tools that empower our user-facing teams to build new case-solving workflows, publish dynamic, localized content to our user-facing support site, and answer every support request with the right context for any user.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.