Staff Engineer, Stripe Terminal, Fleet Management
We’re looking for a Staff engineer to lead and shape our device management infrastructure. As a Staff Engineer, you’ll be empowered to make decisions with a significant impact on Stripe, and help guide our investments and strategy while making our systems reliable, secure, and a delight to use. You’ll lead the team focused on scaling and building entirely new product features and tools that will enable our largest platforms to effortlessly manage their ever-growing fleets of Terminal devices.
- Work with your team, product managers, and designers to build new customer-facing products, and improve upon existing ones
- Scope and lead large technical projects with enormous impact across many teams at Stripe
- Serve as a role model for our high engineering standards and bring consistency to the many codebases and processes
- Build software services and platforms that will impact every Stripe user, whether they’re an end user, developer, or partner
- Ensure our platforms are reliable, scalable, secure and extensible
- Shape future proof interfaces that are easy to build against
- Help drive sound technical decision making and lead technical conversations with other teams across Stripe
- Build backend and API features for core device management functionalities
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- Have experience building device management infrastructure
- Have 8+ years of backend engineering experience building services using one or more programming languages such as Java, Ruby, or Python
- Understand how to build scalable, resilient, and observable distributed systems
- Prefer simple solutions and designs over complex ones, and have a good intuition for what is lasting and scalable
- Focus on the needs of our users, both internal and external
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Have served as the technical lead for a team of engineers and can demonstrate broad technical leadership
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people from various backgrounds with broad technical skills. Stripes take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and empowering entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We contribute to open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues well. The kind of people who commit to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a diverse organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.