Staff Engineer, Stripe Capital
Stripe builds economic infrastructure to increase the GDP of the internet. The Capital team plays a critical part in that mission by giving Stripe’s merchants access to the funds they need to grow. We leverage years of payments data to underwrite Capital users, and we directly integrate the Capital experience with accepting payments through Stripe. That way we can offer fast, fair funding to businesses who are underserved by the traditional financial system. Our success comes from continuing to invest in Stripe’s merchants over years and helping them grow along with us.
Capital is growing quickly. We plan to support merchants in the over 40 countries where Stripe operates, and we need to develop new financing products to serve Stripe’s diverse merchant base. This means we will have to solve a broad range of technical challenges. We’ll need novel data and ML tools to support new products and users. We’re designing a set of shared abstractions for new products. And we’ll even need to pioneer new core services for the company.
We’re looking for a seasoned technical leader to help architect Capital’s future foundations. As a staff engineer on Capital, you’ll work with engineering managers, senior engineers, and cross-functional partners to design the technical underpinnings of the product. At the same time, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to get your hands dirty building key systems and launching new forms of financing.
Capital is at an inflection point. The right technical leadership will put us on a path to continued rapid growth for several years. If that sounds exciting, we’d love to speak with you.
- Identify long-term technical challenges across a broad range of areas, from distributed systems, to data pipelines, to machine learning
- Lay the groundwork to scale the technology and business of early-stage lending products
- Advise Stripe leadership on key technology and product roadmap considerations
- Align our technical decisions with Stripe’s broad strategic initiatives, while also advocating for needs specific to emerging new businesses
- Work with engineers across the company to understand when existing infrastructure can be leveraged vs. when building a bespoke solution is prudent
- Develop and execute against both short- and long-term roadmaps. Make effective tradeoffs that consider business priorities, user experience, and a sustainable technical foundation
- Teach and mentor both individual contributors and managers to become the next generation of leaders at Stripe. As a senior member on a new team, you will be looked to for guidance.
You may be a fit for this role if:
- You have a strong technical background, including 10+ years of experience designing and engineering large-scale systems
- You have a track record of directing technical investment in new products, allowing them to grow from fledgling efforts into thriving businesses
- You have served as the technical lead and defined the roadmap for complex projects spanning multiple teams and functions
- You measure your success in terms of business impact, not lines of code
- You internalize the best ideas from across the organization, humbly setting a vision that others are excited to get behind
- You work well cross-functionally and earn trust from co-workers at all levels. You are often cited as the inspiration for engineers that join your team
- Senior engineers feel they are able to learn from you. You care deeply about mentorship and growing engineers and managers
- You prefer simple solutions and designs over complex ones, and have a good intuition for what will last and scale
- You enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different areas of expertise. Engineering works closely with a variety of teams: Sales and Support to better understand our customers’ needs, Legal and Accounting to understand how global policies influence our money-moving infrastructure, etc.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.