Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions
of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious
startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and
accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the
GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That
means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy
within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your
About the team
The Support Experience engineering team builds and improves Stripe’s
support experience, from end to end: how users get help within our
products, how they get in touch with us when they have questions, and
how our teams use internal tools to answer those questions. We’re
accountable for the quality and reliability of this support stack and we
use data and firsthand user research to continuously improve it. We’re a
small, distributed team of capable, friendly, user-oriented engineers
and we partner closely with Stripe’s world -class design, product,
infrastructure, and operational teams. Providing great support to users
of all sizes is culturally important to everyone at Stripe.
What you’ll do
We’re looking for people passionate about distilling complexity to solve
real world business problems. Projects you'll work on might include:
- Defining the technical vision and architecture for Stripe’s support
experience and systems.
- Building engaging, responsive user interfaces that make it truly
enjoyable to get help from Stripe. For example, we used React to build
a chat UI from the ground up so that it would feel at home in the
- Scaling the contact platform that connects Stripe users with the teams
that are best equipped to help them. This might involve implementing
new API endpoints for use across multiple products, iterating on data
pipelines to maximize visibility into our support operations, or
adding to our billing pipeline so that we can offer paid support plans
in new regions.
- Improving the internal tools that empower our user-facing teams to
build new case-solving workflows, publish dynamic, localized content
to our user-facing support site, and answer every support request with
the right context for any user.
- Build, operate, and improve support experience for all of Stripe’s
users, from one-person startups to Premium Support users and
- Own problems from end to end, managing complexity and change, engaging
directly with cross-functional stakeholders to think through
everything from business impact, to reliability and operability, to
the pixel-perfection of individual support interactions.
- Scope and lead large technical projects with enormous impact across
many teams at Stripe.
- Serve as a role model for our high engineering standards and bring
consistency to the many codebases and processes you will encounter.
- Arbitrate and advise Stripe’s leadership team on critical decisions
correctly that fully consider software best practices, system
realities, and numerous stakeholders’ preferences and concerns.
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization such as experts
in product, design, infrastructure, and operations.
- Teach and mentor the next generation of technical leaders at Stripe.
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be
considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are
encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a
- Have a strong technical background, including 8+ years of experience
with software engineering
- Listen well and internalize the best ideas from all over the
organization while also setting a vision that others are excited to
- Prefer simple solutions and designs over complex ones, and have a good
intuition for what is lasting and scalable.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different functions,
stakeholders, and subject matter experts.
- Can stitch together many different services and processes together
even if you have not worked with them before.
- Take pride in shepherding projects from ideation to completion, where
completion often involves partnering with operational teams to
carefully roll out changes that affect their workflows.
- Seek out feedback from your users and empathetically advocate for them
throughout the product development process.
- Enjoy being a generalist, working on frontend, backend,
infrastructure, data pipelines, or billing pipelines as needed to
solve problems and delight our users. (You don’t need to be an expert
in all of these but it helps to be interested in learning about
- Contribute high-quality code to create trustworthy and engaging user
interfaces and resilient and operable backend systems. We build on top
of storage and queueing systems, UI component libraries, and other
foundations maintained by Stripe’s infrastructure teams and work
HTML, and CSS. (None of us are experts in all of these either.)