Staff Engineer, Review Tools
Stripe builds the economic infrastructure for the internet. We handle hundreds of billions of dollars every year for millions of businesses around the world and it’s imperative we keep it safe. Building trust between banks, businesses & customers is a key ingredient for Stripe to be successful. Unfortunately, fraudsters & bad actors erode that trust. Stripe deploys an array of machine learning models and sophisticated signals-monitoring systems to protect ourselves and our users, but our final line of defense is always our risk analysts.
The Review Tools team partners with our Global Risk Management group to build the tools they need to protect Stripe, and our users, at scale. Our work directly impacts Stripe’s bottom line, and we help build a safer financial backbone for the internet.
Here are some of the problems you will be tackling:
- As Stripe grows its footprint, how do we build human review systems that scale with the business?
- How do we empower our platforms to govern their own risk?
- Redefine the “Risk Platform API” that defines how other teams interact with us.
As a Staff Engineer on this team, you will have an outsized impact on the direction, design & implementation of the solutions to these problems.
- Create long term technical vision for the org, and identify paths to deliver value in shorter term phases
- Architect and design systems with cross-team and cross-organization impact
- Design, build, and maintain scalable, reliable and performant services and systems
- Make significant hands-on contributions to deliver critical projects and bring value to customers
- Help us scale our offerings to an increasing variety of new products in a way that they can move quickly
- Lead by example to uphold high engineering standards, and elevate quality and engineering efficiency across Stripe
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization including dependency engineering teams, product, design, infrastructure, and operations
- Mentor engineers in their technical careers to help them grow
You may be a good fit if you:
- You have a strong technical background, including 10+ years of experience designing and engineering large-scale full stack systems
- You have a track record of directing technical investment in new products, allowing them to grow from fledgling efforts into thriving businesses
- You have served as the technical lead and defined the roadmap for complex projects spanning multiple teams and functions
- You measure your success in terms of business impact, not lines of code
- You internalize the best ideas from across the organization, humbly setting a vision that others are excited to get behind
- You work well cross-functionally and earn trust from co-workers at all levels. You are often cited as the inspiration for engineers that join your team
- Senior engineers feel they are able to learn from you. You care deeply about mentoring and growing engineers
- You prefer simple solutions and designs over complex ones, and have a good intuition for what will last and scale
- You enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different areas of expertise. Engineering works closely with a variety of teams: designers, product managers, and other Stripe product teams to come up with high-impact ways of quickly solving our users’ problems
Nice to haves:
- Experience in payments and/or fraud
- Experience with or interest in labeling
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.