Staff Engineer, Payment Flows
We’re looking for someone who can drive the technical vision for our payments APIs as we design decade-long abstractions and scale the API foundation’s reliability and performance.
- Identify, scope and lead large technical projects with enormous impact across many teams and key stakeholders at Stripe
- Advise Stripe’s leadership team on key technical considerations related to the future of our technology stack and product roadmap
- Thrive in a collaborative environment developing and executing against immediate and long term roadmaps and making effective tradeoffs considering business priorities, but always with the user experience in mind
- Teach and mentor ICs and managers to become the next generation of leaders at Stripe
- Guide critical decisions correctly that fully consider software best practices, Stripe’s system design, and numerous stakeholders’ preferences and concerns
- Scrutinize and reason clearly about the technology and architecture choices we make in building platforms or products/services at Stripe. Ensure technical decision making aligns with Stripe’s broad strategic initiatives.
- Directly contribute to core interface design and write code. Serve as a role model for software design and scalable systems architecture by developing, sharing, and setting the quality bar for Stripe as a whole
You may be a fit for this role if:
- You have a strong technical background, including 10+ years of experience with software engineering and designing large scale systems.
- You have served as the technical lead for large complex projects that span multiple teams and functions.
- You have developed / been responsible for the technical roadmap for large business areas.
- You listen well and internalize the best ideas from all over the organization, while also setting a vision that others are excited to get behind.
- You work well cross-functionally and your co-workers at all levels and across all teams trust you.
- You are often cited as the inspiration for engineers that join your team. Even senior engineers feel they are able to learn from you. You care deeply about mentorship and growing engineers and managers.
- You prefer simple solutions and designs over complex ones, and have a good intuition for what will last and scale.
- You enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise.
You might work on:
- Synthesizing API design principles that serve as reference for other engineers
- Leading the effort to design and manage a complex API migration
- Rearchitecting our systems to achieve order of magnitude improvement in reliability and performance
- Defining interfaces to support 10+ teams to build on top of the payments APIs
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.