Staff Engineer, LATAM
Build the core of Stripe products, services and APIs in spectacularly robust fashion.
We’re looking for a Staff Engineer to drive large technical projects across LATAM that lead to successful business outcomes by shipping delightful products. You will need to set the technical direction across a variety of projects and initiatives while also mentoring and growing others on the team.
As the Staff Engineer for LATAM, you will:
- Research, design, and build solutions that define the future of the financial infrastructure we’re building in LATAM.
- Develop hypotheses for our products in LATAM, and iterate on solutions and metrics to validate them.
- Be directly responsible for the technical strategy, and its outcomes, for projects you lead.
- Collaborate cross-functionally throughout Stripe to troubleshoot challenges, remove bottlenecks, and identify new opportunities for growth.
- Represent the Global LATAM engineering team in forums where strategic decisions are made, such as - API Design or Production Readiness reviews.
- Set the pace, and lead by example demonstrating how great software should be written for Stripe as a whole.
- Advise Stripe’s leadership team on key technical considerations related to the future of payments in Latin America.
- Measure the effectiveness of our engineering work, and use data to drive decisions to help our users and their customers.
- Teach and mentor the next generation of technical leaders at Stripe.
You may be a fit if you:
- Have a strong technical background, including 8+ years of experience with system architecture and API design at companies known for building great products.
- Understand user funnels, hypothesis driven product development and approach solutions rigorously.
- Have been a Staff, Principal, or Distinguished Engineer before.
- Have served as the technical lead for a team of engineers and can demonstrate broad technical leadership.
- Have owned the technical roadmap for a business area.
- Can take highly ambiguous challenges, drive them towards clarity and deliver solutions with confidence.
- Listen well and internalize the best ideas from all over the organization while also setting a vision that others are excited to get behind.
- Work well cross-functionally and your co-workers across all teams trust you.
- Are often cited as the inspiration for engineers that join your teams. Even senior engineers feel that they’re able to learn from you.
- Payment experience is a plus but not at all a requirement.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.