Staff Engineer, Identity
The Identity Core team enables well-intentioned persons and legal entities to engage with the financial ecosystem with ease, regardless of geography.
- Simplicity: For well-intentioned users, Stripe’s verification experiences feel invisible
- Confidence and Scalability: For platforms, we provide a first-in-class experience building on Stripe, giving them confidence to scale without fear of adverse action from regulators or financial institutions
- Observability: For internal stakeholders, we make it easy to know our customers at scale. This enables Stripe to launch new products and new markets while managing regulatory, partnership, and business risks
To empower merchants and platforms to engage with the financial ecosystem, we must “get to know” our customers. By doing so, we ensure that the persons and legal entities do not present unreasonable risk to Stripe. How we do so depends on business needs, laws, and commercial rules, and may differ between geographies.
As Stripe scales, we must not only feel confident moving money to all corners of the globe, but we must also feel confident in the persons and legal entities behind that movement of money.
We’re looking for a developer focused Technical Leader to drive large technical projects across Stripe’s Identity product. Because of Stripe’s large user base and global availability, your users will be both external–millions of businesses all over the world, including many of the world’s largest and fastest growing technology companies–and internal–teams and products.
This role is critical, not only for Stripe, but for the future of the commercial internet.
As the Technical Lead for Identity, you will:
- Scope and lead large technical projects with enormous impact across many teams at Stripe
- Scrutinize and reason clearly about the technology and architecture choices we make in building Stripe Identity. In many cases, you will be the decider of these decisions
- Directly contribute to core interface design and write code. Serve as a role model for how great software should be written for Stripe as a whole
- Arbitrate critical decisions correctly that fully consider software best practices, Stripe system realities, and numerous stakeholders’ preferences and concerns
- Advise Stripe’s leadership team on key technical considerations related to the future of Identity
- Work effectively cross functionally
- Teach and mentor the next generation of technical leaders at Stripe
You may be a fit if:
- You have a strong technical background, including 10+ years of experience with system architecture and API design at a top tier software company
- You have been a Staff, Principal, or Distinguished Engineer at a top tier company
- You have served as the technical lead across multiple teams within engineering
- You have owned the technical roadmap for large business areas
- You listen well and internalize the best ideas from all over the organization while also setting a vision that others are excited to get behind
- You work well cross-functionally and your co-workers at all levels and across all teams trust you
- You are often cited as the inspiration for engineers that join your teams. Even senior engineers feel that they’re able to learn from you
- Identity and/or Payment experience is a plus but not at all a requirement
Please find our EU applicant personal information notice here
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.