Staff Engineer, Developer Tools
Build the infrastructure powering economic growth
The Developer Productivity group is responsible for making Stripe’s developers happy and productive. We work on tools, processes, and code refactoring to accelerate Stripe engineering as Stripe scales.
We’re looking for people with a strong background (or interest!) in systems. We’d love to hear from you whether you’re a seasoned systems developer, or whether you’ve just learned you might like working with databases. Many of our infrastructure engineers work remotely, and we’d be happy to talk to you about the possibility of working remote.
As the Staff Engineer for Test Infrastructure you will:
- Scope and lead large technical projects with enormous impact for Engineers within Stripe
- Build and maintain the infrastructure which powers the core of Stripe’s Engineering workforce
- Scrutinize and reason clearly about the technology and architecture choices we make in building these products. In many cases, you will be the decider of these decisions
- Directly contribute to core interface design and write code. Serve as a role model for how great software should be written for Stripe as a whole
- Arbitrate critical decisions correctly that fully consider software best practices, Stripe system realities, and numerous stakeholders’ preferences and concerns
- Teach and mentor the next generation of technical leaders at Stripe
You may be a fit if:
- You have a strong technical background, including 8+ years of experience with system architecture and API design at a top tier software company
- You have been a Staff, Principal, or Distinguished Engineer at a top tier company
- You have served as the technical lead for a team of engineers and can demonstrate broad technical leadership
- You have owned the technical roadmap for a business area
- You listen well and internalize the best ideas from all over the organization while also setting a vision that others are excited to get behind
- You work well cross-functionally and your co-workers at all levels and across all teams trust you
- You are often cited as the inspiration for engineers that join your teams. Even senior engineers feel that they’re able to learn from you
Projects you could work on:
We have a ton of important work to do, which is why we’re hiring! Our projects are of course changing all the time, but here are a few projects that we’ve completed in the past, so you can get an idea of the types of work we do. Technologies we use include: haproxy, nginx, consul, jenkins, datadog, statsd, kafka, rabbitmq, storm, and others.
- Plan and implement multi-region availability for our distributed job queuing infrastructure! All of our systems can sustain losing machines, and making our systems even more resistant to failure is a big theme for us. If you like thinking about distributed systems, you might find a good home here!
- Design and implement industry-leading infrastructure to support contract tests. You’ll help define the features and capabilities of the system, including the generation of synthetic data where appropriate. If you like cross-functional collaboration, and solving real-world problems faced by teams striving to reach five 9s of reliability, this is the area for you!
- Move us to a region with no downtime. Last year, we needed to migrate AWS regions, and we pulled it off with no negative effects on our users and no downtime.
- Build fantastic code review tools! If you love helping developers be more effective at their jobs, we have a ton of interesting projects in this area. Related projects: you could help us have better reproducible builds with Bazel and build great developer environments.
- Generate synthetic data for both CI and local development use cases to enable teams within Stripe to iterate quickly and safely.
Please find our EU applicant personal information notice here
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.