Staff Engineer, Data Anonymization
Build systems to keep customers' data safe.
The mission of the Data Anonymization team is to build frameworks and tools that reduce the sensitivity of data that customers, data scientists and engineers need to get their jobs done. The team builds the systems to measure and validate the anonymity of data, and core tooling and infrastructure services to anonymize data through aggregation, generalization and tokenization. These tools empower teams that work with data to do so in lower risk ways while maintaining the ability to understand overall trends.
We’re looking for an infrastructure-focused staff engineer to lead and mentor both managers and engineers, and steer technical vision and large projects across Security. You will do this by designing, building, and driving adoption of tools that create strong security invariants for the protection of our users’ data. You will have the opportunity to build abstractions, frameworks and libraries that allow developers to focus on their job while security and compliance is done correctly for them under the covers.
- Lead large technical projects that will be leveraged across Stripe’s infrastructure to help keep customer’s data safe
- Reason clearly about the technology and architecture choices we make in building systems at Stripe. In many cases, you will be the decision maker in this process
- Directly contribute to core infrastructure design and write code
- Serve as a role model for software design and scalable systems architecture by developing, sharing, and setting the quality bar for Stripe as a whole
- Collaborate with stakeholders across security, legal, and compliance teams to encode best practices for data protection into how products and infrastructure are built
- Advise Stripe’s leadership team on key technical considerations related to the future of data security and governance; if you’re successful, you will change the trajectory of the payments and security industry as a whole
- Teach and mentor the next generation of technical leaders at Stripe
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Experience in a software development role
- Experience leading software development projects
Nice to haves:
- You have a strong technical background, including experience with system architecture and API design
- You have been a Staff, Principal, or Distinguished Engineer
- You have experience driving adoption of infrastructure or security frameworks across multiple teams
- You take delight in crafting great, easy-to-use abstractions and find innovative ways of increasing adoption of these tools
- You find improving engineering standards, tooling, and processes rewarding
- You have served as the technical lead across multiple teams within engineering
- You have owned the technical roadmap for large business areas
- Experience in security, data infrastructure, data governance, or privacy engineering is a plus but not required
- You listen well and internalize the best ideas from all over the organization while also setting a vision that others are excited to get behind
- You work well cross-functionally and your co-workers at all levels and across all teams trust you
- You are often cited as the inspiration for engineers that join your teams; even senior engineers feel that they’re able to learn from you
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.