Staff Engineer, BI Connectors
Our users trust us with their businesses and livelihoods, and every request that Stripe handles is critical. We process billions of dollars yearly for millions of users, from the largest enterprises to a startup making their first sale. To earn this trust, we invest deeply in our infrastructure.
The BI Connectors team is responsible for using and extending Stripe’s data platform infrastructure to support critical business functions that rely on external software-as-a-service products. Our tools enable teams without dedicated engineers to be empowered by data that helps them accelerate Stripe’s global expansion.
You will be a key contributor to the next evolution of our platform: moving from legacy ETL tools to Stripe’s powerful real time and batch processing infrastructure. As a Staff Engineer you’ll be empowered to make decisions with a significant impact on Stripe and help guide our investments and strategy while making our systems reliable, secure, and a delight to use. There is a lot of work to do to make Stripe engineers’ data capabilities even more reliable and usable than they are today and we’d love for you to be a part of it. We’re close to the people using our systems and constantly get feedback to make their experiences better.
We’re looking for people with a strong background and demonstrated leadership in data platform technologies, ideally within the offline processing space. Staff Engineers at Stripe are empowered to operate autonomously and are counted on to help drive Stripe forward.
- Scope and lead large technical projects with meaningful impact for business teams within Stripe
- Work with engineers across the company to build new features at large-scale, while improving internal engineering standards, tooling, and processes
- Scrutinise and reason clearly about the technology and architecture choices we make in building these products
- Directly contribute to architecture and write code. Serve as a role model for how great software should be written for Stripe as a whole
- Scope, design and implement platform solutions that make the appropriate tradeoffs between resiliency, durability, and performance
- Develop tooling and automate processes to provide a resilient and flexible platform for other engineers
- Help debug and solve critical infrastructure issues across our services and multiple levels of the stack
- Teach and mentor the next generation of technical leaders at Stripe
You may be a fit if:
- Enjoy and have experience building backend data services. Experience with Spark, Flink, Kafka, Presto is valuable, but experience in other similar frameworks is also great.
- Are excited about working on large real time and batch data infrastructure that finance, people operations, marketing, and sales teams rely on.
- Think about data systems and services and write high quality code. We work mostly in Java and Scala. However, languages can be learned: we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and working with internal stakeholders to iteratively solve their needs.
- You have served as the technical lead for a team of engineers and can demonstrate broad technical leadership
- You have owned the technical roadmap for a business area
- You listen well and internalise the best ideas from all over the organisation while also setting a vision that others are excited to get behind
- You work well cross-functionally and your co-workers at all levels and across all teams trust you. You are often cited as the inspiration for engineers that join your teams. Even senior engineers feel that they’re able to learn from you.
Please find our EU applicant personal information notice here
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.