Staff Engineer, APAC
Stripe’s core mission is to reduce the barriers faced by large and emerging businesses around the world by abstracting away the complexities of payments. The Global team is responsible for building the payments products & infrastructure needed to launch new markets and process payments successfully around the world. This is one of the few places in the world where moving information literally means moving money.
As a global platform company, Stripe processes payments, runs marketplaces, detects fraud, and helps entrepreneurs start an internet business from anywhere in the world. Our success depends on building the best payments system possible for our merchants, when our merchants succeed we succeed. The Global team is responsible for ensuring Stripe’s products best fit the unique needs of each country. As a Staff Engineer on the Global team, you will help lead the team to build and expand Products, APIs and services while working with our partners to launch new markets and capabilities.
We’re looking for a Staff Engineer to drive large technical projects across Global APAC. You will need to set the technical direction across a variety of projects and initiatives while also mentoring and growing others on the team.
- Scope and lead large technical projects with enormous impact for our users in APAC
- Scrutinize and reason clearly about the technology and architecture choices we make in building these products. In many cases, you will be the decider of these decisions
- Directly contribute to core interface design and write code. Serve as a role model for how great software should be written for Stripe as a whole
- Arbitrate critical decisions correctly that fully consider software best practices, Stripe system realities, and numerous stakeholders’ preferences and concerns
- Advise Stripe’s leadership team on key technical considerations related to the future of payments (e.g., on the utility of blockchain technologies). If you’re successful, you will change the trajectory of the payment industry as a whole
- Work effectively cross functionally and
- Teach and mentor the next generation of technical leaders at Stripe
You may be a fit if:
- You have a strong technical background, including 8+ years of experience with system architecture and API design
- You have been a Staff, Principal, or Distinguished Engineer
- You have served as the technical lead for a team of engineers and can demonstrate broad technical leadership
- You have owned the technical roadmap for a business area
- You listen well and internalize the best ideas from all over the organization while also setting a vision that others are excited to get behind
- You work well cross-functionally and your co-workers at all levels and across all teams trust you
- You are often cited as the inspiration for engineers that join your teams. Even senior engineers feel that they’re able to learn from you
- Payment experience is a plus but not at all a requirement
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.