Staff Engineer, New Financial Products
Stripe builds economic infrastructure with a mission to increase the GDP of the internet. Startups are the core lifeblood of our business — as they grow, scale and succeed, so does Stripe. Historically, Stripe has been known for making the acceptance of payments easy for developers. Now, with Atlas and Corporate Card, Stripe is moving beyond payments and “up the stack” to help startups run their business more effectively.
We’re continuing to push in that direction with new products that are solving new business problems for startups. In this role, we’re looking for staff engineers to help build and drive the technical direction of our startup focused product suite. Succeeding in this role will require one to adeptly balance immediate needs—of the business and of our users—with progress against a long-term vision for the products we can offer to help startups effectively operate internet businesses.
Staff engineers drive technical direction and strategy, design abstractions that span many teams, and work closely with product and business leaders to build our short- and long-term plans. You will architect our path to scaling both our infrastructure and our products, then lead the organization to execute it. A background in user-driven development, a passion for building unreasonably good products, and experience driving product strategy across many stakeholders, functions, and business lines are critical.
- Identify, scope, and lead large technical projects, laying the groundwork for early-stage products to iteratively evolve and scale
- Advise Stripe leadership on key technology and product roadmap considerations
- Align our technical decisions with Stripe’s broad strategic initiatives, while also advocating for needs specific to emerging new businesses
- Work with engineers across the company to understand when existing infrastructure can be leveraged vs. when building a bespoke solution is prudent
- Develop and execute against both short- and long-term roadmaps. Make effective tradeoffs that consider business priorities, user experience, and a sustainable technical foundation
- Teach and mentor both individual contributors and managers to become the next generation of leaders at Stripe. As a senior member on a new team, you will be looked to for guidance
You may be a fit for this role if:
- You have a strong technical background, including 10+ years of experience designing and engineering large-scale systems
- You are comfortable working on a new product under fluid conditions, seamlessly balancing tactical and strategic considerations
- You have served as the technical lead and defined the roadmap for complex projects spanning multiple teams and functions
- You measure your success in terms of business impact, not lines of code
- You internalize the best ideas from across the organization, humbly setting a vision that others are excited to get behind
- You work well cross-functionally and earn trust from co-workers at all levels. You are often cited as the inspiration for engineers that join your team
- Senior engineers feel they are able to learn from you. You care deeply about mentorship and growing engineers and managers
- You prefer simple solutions and designs over complex ones, and have a good intuition for what will last and scale
- You enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different areas of expertise. Engineering works closely with a variety of teams: Sales and Support to better understand our customers’ needs, Legal and Accounting to understand how global policies influence our money-moving infrastructure, etc.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.