Software Engineer, Tax Reporting
Stripe engineers are playing an integral part in defining one of the most critical economic infrastructure pieces running on the internet. Our engineers design the core abstractions, build the backend systems, and deliver the experiences that enable enterprises. We regularly take on complex, daunting challenges and provide simple, impactful solutions for Stripe users across the globe.
As part of the Enterprise Tax Reporting team, you will build our services, big data pipelines, control plane, data plane, and experiences to enable brand new capabilities and systems for global enterprises. Your work will define the modern commercial relationships for enterprises at scale. Our new product operates across a globally distributed set of disconnected graphs stitching together the monetary flows and reporting obligations between an expansive collection of merchants, marketplaces, financial institutions, and government regulators. We optimize CPU intensive rendering, streaming, and compression systems to generate an enormous number of artifacts per minute driving real life workflows and physical processes for the world’s entrepreneurs. We orchestrate a logistic network of electronic and physical deliveries connecting a diverse web of individuals, government regulators, and enterprises. We maintain large, distributed search indexes fueling low latency user experiences that allow operators across a number of enterprises to coordinate the sharing of information streamlining their reporting obligations and accelerating their business. These are just some of the ways our work not only removes friction, but enables scale needed by modern marketplaces, e-commerce platforms, and business models in the gig economy.
We are looking for engineers with a solid foundation and deep technical depth. Our solutions require a high bar for reliability, security, and global considerations.
- Architect core data models and big data pipelines for OLAP and OLTP workloads (e.g. using Mongo, Kafka, Presto, Airflow, Apache Spark)
- Implement the logic, scalability, consistency, and resiliency for our back end services (e.g. using Ruby/Sorbet, Rails, AWS, SQL)
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
- Build and improve tools, standards, and processes that impact the entire company
- Collaborate with many disciplines across the company to deliver, pioneer our business
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Enjoy thinking rigorously about big data pipelines, services, user experiences, and diving deep into the details
- Have experience building software and systems that strike the right balance between simplicity, flexibility, and security. We work mostly in Ruby and Java, with some Scala, Python and Go. However, languages can be learned: we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems
- Self-driven to work on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise (for example, ¼ of Stripes work in a country that’s different from the one they grew up in). Almost every role at Stripe collaborates with engineers, from Sales and Support in sharing feedback from our customers to Legal and Accounting in supporting our systems for tracking money movement and reporting around the world
- Care about keeping customers safe and are able to understand or empathize with their security needs and goals. Expect opportunities to interact with customers directly in order to better understand their use cases and to brainstorm better ways to solve their problems
It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas. For instance, we have wonderful team members who are really focused on their customers’ needs and building mission-critical distributed systems, but didn’t work on Identity and Access Management or other security-related solutions before joining Stripe.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.