Software Engineer, Platform Security
Stripe powers businesses all over the world. We process payments, run marketplaces, detect fraud, help entrepreneurs start a business from anywhere in the world, build world-class developer-friendly APIs, and more. Nearly every system we operate interacts with sensitive financial or personal data — making security a top priority for Stripe.
Stripe will succeed at our mission of increasing the GDP of the internet only if we prove ourselves worthy of our users’ trust. As an engineer on the Security team, you will design and develop frameworks, systems, and solutions to ensure the security of Stripe’s engineering infrastructure and, most importantly, the privacy of our users’ data.
Platform Security is in the process of splitting into separate teams. The focus areas of the two new teams are:
- Secrets & PKI is responsible for our secrets management infrastructure. This team also owns our certificate authority which is responsible for issuing certificates to all Stripe laptops and hosts.
- Secure access to internal resources is responsible for our “Zero Trust” infrastructure. This team owns our VPNs, SSH bastions, and HTTPs proxy.
This posting is for both of the above teams. We recognize it is unorthodox to have one posting for two teams and encourage you to reach out to our recruiting team with any questions.
- Design, build, and operate the core security infrastructure used by all of Stripe’s engineering teams in close collaboration with other stakeholders and our users
- Uphold our high engineering standards and bring consistency to the many codebases and processes you will encounter
- Contribute to team learning by improving engineering standards, tooling, and processes
- Optimize for security controls that have delightful user experiences
- Make impactful decisions about systems and security — their edge cases, failure modes, and life cycles
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Empathy, strong communication skills and a deep respect for the power of collaboration
- A learning mindset, regardless of level or experience
- The ability to drive clear next steps when encountering ambiguous spaces without clear lines of ownership
- High standards for code quality and a constructive attitude to help others raise the bar
- Software engineering experience in a high-stakes production environment
- A knack for considering how systems can fail and how to fix them
- An ability to think creatively and holistically about reducing risk in a complex environment
You may work on:
Secure Access to Internal Resources
- Scaling our infrastructure to support a global workforce
- Deprecating VPNs in favor of per-request authorization
- Infrastructure to collect endpoint security data for use in network authorization decisions
Secrets & PKI
- Infrastructure that prevents the misuse of Secrets
- Safe APIs that support secure credential generation, usage, and rotation
- Roots of trust including internal PKI
- Endpoint device and server attestation
- Least privilege of secrets
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.