Risk Partnerships Strategist, Japan
Stripe’s mission is to increase the GDP of the internet. We build the most powerful and flexible tools for running an internet business. We handle billions of dollars each year and enable millions of users around the world to scale faster and more efficiently by building their businesses on Stripe.
We’re looking for a strategic and highly cross-functional individual to work on Stripe’s Risk Partnerships function across APAC, with primary focus on Japan. The role will be based out of Stripe’s Singapore or Tokyo office, and requires Japanese written and spoken fluency.
The Risk team plays a critical role in helping keep Stripe and its users safe. As a Risk Partnerships Strategist you will ensure Stripe’s products and services comply with regulatory and financial partner requirements. You will partner closely with Stripe product managers and engineers, as well as with subject matter experts across Risk, Legal, Financial Partnerships, and Financial Crimes, to ensure that the company is able to compliantly achieve strategic business outcomes. In addition to close partnership within Stripe, you and your team will also be responsible for helping third parties, such as Stripe’s regulators and financial partners, understand how Stripe’s products meet their requirements.
In addition, you will help influence those third parties towards outcomes that enable Stripe meet its business goals.
- Serve as the primary risk contact for Japan across risk partnerships, strategic initiatives and user supportability
- Represent Stripe on a variety of risk-related topics before banking partners, regulators and other key audiences
- Be responsible for helping set Stripe’s strategy for complying with regulatory and financial partner requirements across APAC, with primary focus on Japan
- Manage key APAC financial partner risk relationships, including building relationships, understanding requirements, and monitoring risk using a metrics-driven approach
- Prepare and facilitate partner due diligence responses, and materials for onsite visits
- Build a close partnership with our Financial Partnerships team to drive and represent risk objectives for our partner
- Collaborate with our User Policy team on business enablement initiatives, including building relationships with new partners
- Develop relationships and collaborate with partners across risk, product, engineering and business teams to prioritize, scope and roll out product or payment method launches
- Build an approach for collecting intelligence on the APAC/Japanese markets, financial partner rules and regulations that should inform our policies and risk management
We are looking for someone who has:
- Japanese verbal and written fluency, as this role will work with Japan banking partners and regulators Payments risk knowledge and experience
- Deep understanding of the types of risks a company like Stripe would face
- Expertise in managing financial partners to defined metrics, balancing against growth and risk
- Proficiency in card network, card acquiring, and/or banking rules
- Strong stakeholder management including navigating difficult situations, negotiating timelines, and influencing internal and external stakeholders across organizations and borders
- An analytical approach to decision-making. You are analytical, objective and skilled at using metrics to drive decisions
- Demonstrated project management skills and a proven track record for building and scaling programs from the ground up
- Excellent collaboration, communication, and relationship building skills and the ability to convey complex ideas succinctly to all audiences
- 7+ years of relevant professional experience, including experience in partner-facing roles
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.