Compliance and Internal Controls Lead
Help us grow our Compliance team in LATAM!
We are looking for an experienced compliance professional to join our Risk & Compliance team located in Brazil. In this role, you’ll play a fundamental role in helping to develop our Risk & Compliance function and oversee a best in class internal controls program as Stripe launches in new LATAM markets. This means handling a wide variety of compliance-related matters, including working closely with the LATAM Risk and Compliance Officer in designing and implementing LATAM’s regulatory internal controls processes and procedures, executing compliance risk assessments, testing key internal controls, and reporting compliance health to the appropriate governing bodies.
Stripe is both a technology company and a financial services company, and you will need to be comfortable straddling both of those worlds every day. The right person for the role will enjoy dealing with that puzzle, seeking creative solutions and moving quickly, often in the face of ambiguity.
You will be:
- Serve as the Compliance and Internal Controls Lead in Brazil and other countries where required, coordinating with the LATAM Risk and Compliance Officer and the applicable financial service regulators (e.g. Banco Central do Brasil), and perform all responsibilities of said role
- Responsible for designing and executing a scalable risk, compliance, and internal control framework to ensure Stripe meets its legal and regulatory obligations in LATAM, including program health assessments, controls testing, and governance reporting
- Creating processes and procedures to make sure we are meeting our requirements as set forth by law, including policies for internal control and control objectives for core processes and key risks Produce risk, compliance, and internal control performance reports for management/ Executive Officers, including trend analysis and recommended strategies
- Making sure that activities are segregated so that there is no conflict of interest within organization levels, as well as constantly monitoring the organization’s activities so as to mitigate the risk of possible conflicts of interest
- Create [compliance] training materials for the business and relevant employees to ensure relevant Stripes are aware of their respective roles and responsibilities within the framework designed
- Monitor product launches and/or changes in business models in LATAM to ensure that local regulatory programs reflect such developments and their accompanying legal requirements
- Respond to audits and regulatory assessments, coordinating the remediation of any issues identified from report findings with other teams as needed
- Consult with the business to develop corrective action plans and effectively manage change to ensure the development of adequate processes and procedures
- Help owners of regulatory obligations in other teams understand the obligations and standards expected by regulators to build scalable mechanisms and controls
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Six to eight years + experience in a regulatory compliance, risk management, internal controls or related role
- Demonstrated experience executing on complex compliance, risk & internal controls initiatives
- Comfort in interpreting legal guidance (with the support of the Legal team) and turning these into operational policies and systems-based solutions
- Experience with interacting with the relevant regulators, including the Brazilian Central Bank, and their requirements
- Ability to work efficiently and independently in a fast-paced, high-volume environment
- Ability to work cross-functionally with internal stakeholders using effective communication and influencing skills
- An effective and relatable “culture of compliance” mentality
- Fluent in Portuguese and English
Nice to haves:
- Payments or fintech experience
- Related regulatory experience in payments, international policy, or audit
- Experience with regulatory and licensing requirements in LATAM
- Familiarity with MacOS and Google products
- Fluent in Spanish
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.