Reliability Engineer, EMEA Payments
About the job
As a platform company powering businesses all over the world, Stripe processes payments, runs marketplaces, detects fraud, helps entrepreneurs start an internet business from anywhere in the world, builds world-class developer-friendly APIs, and more. Stripe’s backend engineers work on the business logic for all of that.
The EMEA Payments team is working towards a future in which any business across the world can offer the full range of payment methods. The team builds, integrates and runs EMEA payment methods processing Billions of Euros annually. The team resolves complexities across a fragmented market by surfacing one simple way to accept these payments. Engineers on the team work to expand the reach of Stripe’s global payments network, design and implement novel payment capabilities, and deliver best-in-class reliability and performance.
Joining the EMEA Payments team in Dublin will put you right at the heart of Stripe’s EMEA strategy: Stripe is dual-headquartered in San Francisco and Dublin making Dublin the engineering hub for EMEA with plans to grow the office by at least 1000+ Stripes over the next 5 years.
We’re looking for people with a strong background or interest in building and operating highly scalable and reliable products and systems; you’re comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces; you have exquisite attention to detail; and you’re comfortable learning new technologies and systems. You’ll get to work with other engineers to deliver impactful projects that span various parts of the system.
- Lead impactful engineering projects to improve the scalability, reliability and performance of Stripe’s payment methods across the board.
- Lead incident response, review and remediation in a way that is blameless, sustainable and data-driven.
- Take an engineering-first approach to operating Stripe’s payment methods, by automating operational tasks and proactively identifying and addressing risks.
- Improve how we approach designing and building reliable systems by running table top scenarios, operational readiness reviews and consulting on reliability best practices.
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization including dependency engineering teams, product, design, infrastructure, and operations.
You May Be Fit For This Role If You:
- Have a passion for reliable and performant systems, and care deeply about the end-user experience.
- Have a strong understanding of reliability practices, distributed systems, and cloud native architectures and/or have experience working as an SRE for critical systems.
- Think about systems and services and write high quality code. We work mostly in Ruby and Java, with some Scala and Go. However, languages can be learned: we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework.
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems.
- Take pride in working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts.
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise (for example, ¼ of Stripes work in a country that’s different from the one they grew up in). Almost every role at Stripe collaborates with some engineers, from Sales and Support in sharing feedback from our customers; to Legal and Accounting in supporting our systems for tracking money movement and reporting around the world.
It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas. For instance, we have wonderful team members who are really focused on their customers’ needs and building amazing user experiences, but didn’t work on APIs before joining Stripe.
You Might Work On:
- Building highly-available, scalable systems on top of which multiple teams can build novel payment methods with ease.
- Launching new payment methods, ensuring we meet our high standards for reliability and performance. Migrating existing systems to new versions of our payments stack, or adopting new platform capabilities, without risking downtime or instability.
- Improving how we operate our services by fine-tuning monitoring systems and automating responses to non-exceptional service conditions.
- Defining, measuring and managing our end-to-end-availability in terms of SLIs/SLOs and error budgets. Enabling better observability and reliability for a variety of third-party integrations.
Please find our EU applicant personal information notice here
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.