Regulatory Counsel, EMEA
In this role you will work with talented people throughout the company to help Stripe grow in a manner that complies with payments, financial services, AML/CFT, and other regulations that apply to Stripe across the world. You will deal with a diverse set of issues that straddle financial regulation and technology.
During this exciting phase in Stripe’s development in EMEA, the Legal team is faced with a diverse set of projects and issues, as we support the launch of new products and services, new customer segments and as we grow in new geographic markets.
The ideal candidate is passionate about financial technology and excited about Stripe’s mission of helping businesses grow and thrive online. We’re looking for a team player with a sense of humour, who enjoys solving complex problems and has the skills and aptitude for innovative work within a high-performing in-house legal team.
- Serve as one of Stripe’s primary financial regulatory lawyers, advising on a wide range of regulatory issues across the EEA and multiple international jurisdictions within EMEA
- Counsel Stripe’s business on the application of payment laws and regulations, helping us to manage regulatory risk, allowing Stripe to create products and expand internationally in a way that meets our obligations, as well as the needs of our customers
- Conduct legal research into high value regulatory topics, identifying and evaluating business and legal risks, and finding creative ways to mitigate them while achieving business goals. Advising on the impact of forthcoming new laws and regulations
- Represent Stripe on a variety of topics before regulators, banking partners, and other external audiences, and advise on our regulatory policy activities
- Support business and functional teams dealing with regulatory issues relating to Stripe’s customers
- Contribute to licensing and prudential matters and the maintenance of our core regulatory programs
- Collaborate with business and legal teams across Stripe - across the company and across the globe
We are looking for someone who has:
- Excellent academic background and credentials
- Significant experience practicing as a qualified lawyer, with financial regulatory experience—specific payments experience is particularly advantageous
- Experience working in a major financial institution or technology company, financial services regulatory authority, or relevant experience within a major law firm
- A self-starter, demonstrating good initiative with agility of thought and dexterity of approach to legal problems
- Strong project management skills, capable of working under tight deadlines. High levels of resilience
- Excellent risk-based judgment, and the ability to make smart decisions in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information
- Terrific communication skills (written and verbal), with an ability to make complex regulatory concepts clear to business teams, engineers, lawyers, and regulators
- International experience is an advantage
You should include these in your application:
- A resume and LinkedIn profile
Please find our EU applicant personal information notice here
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.