Regulatory Counsel, India
Help us build the next generation of global payments infrastructure!
Stripe is a global technology company that builds infrastructure for online commerce. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet. We handle billions in transactions each year and enable millions of users around the world to scale faster and more efficiently by building their businesses on Stripe. Stripe provides tools that make it easier for businesses and entrepreneurs all over the world to grow. We work on some of the hardest technical, commercial, and regulatory problems around, and we’re looking for a regulatory lawyer to join our amazing APAC Legal team in India as Regulatory Counsel for India. In this role you will work with talented people throughout the company, and will deal with a diverse set of matters that straddle financial services, business processes, and technology.
The ideal candidate is passionate about Stripe’s mission of helping businesses grow and thrive. We’re looking for someone who is a team player and willing to jump in on tasks of any size. Experience in technology, payments and financial services, and prior experience engaging with the Financial Services Commission, is strongly preferred.
Stripe is both a technology company and a financial services company, and you will need to be comfortable straddling both of those worlds every day. The right person for the role will enjoy solving that puzzle, seeking creative solutions and moving quickly, often in the face of ambiguity.
- Develop and execute regulatory strategy, including engaging with key regulators
- Support the partnerships team in developing relationships with key financial partners and structuring partnership arrangements
- Counsel the Stripe product and business teams on a range of issues in India, including payments and financial regulatory frameworks, market expansion, consumer protection, internet regulations, data protection and other legal matters
- Serve as the main point of contact for all regulatory and legal matters in India
- Draft and implement policies, procedures, processes, systems, governance and internal controls for a regulatory compliance program, to ensure licensing commitments and legal conditions are met
- Actively collaborate with a wide variety of teams at Stripe, including product, engineering, partnerships, compliance, and marketing, on a range of issues related to market expansion, regulatory compliance, product development and commercialization
- Help build scalable and effective processes for legal review and launch of products in India
- Manage outside counsel in India to ensure timely and knowledgeable support of critical matters
- Participate as a proactive business partner to senior managers and build a trusted advisor relationship.
We are looking for someone who has:
- A law degree
- Native level local language fluency and excellent English proficiency
- A minimum of 10 years combined relevant experience in a top law firm, government agency, and/or in-house legal team, preferably working on the legal and regulatory matters in the financial services space
- A passion for technology and ability to understand complex business models and product use cases quickly
- Strong communication (both written and verbal)
- Experience working on cross-border matters and working across different cultures
- Excellent project management skills, attention to detail, and ability to work under tight deadlines
- Excellent judgment, ability to navigate ambiguity and evolving regulatory spaces, and provide practical, solutions-oriented legal advice
- Be humble, curious about an evolving industry, and have a terrific sense of humor
- A resume and LinkedIn profile
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.