Help us build the next generation of global payments infrastructure
Stripe’s mission is to increase the GDP of the internet. We provide tools that make it easier for businesses and entrepreneurs all over the world to grow. We work on some of the hardest technical, commercial, and regulatory problems around, and we’re looking for a regulatory lawyer to join our amazing APAC Legal team in Australia. In this role you will work closely with talented people throughout the company, including Stripe’s compliance, policy, finance, treasury and product teams. As one of Stripe’s primary regulatory counsel in Australia, you will have a unique opportunity to explore the intersection of technology and regulatory frameworks, shape the development of new financial technologies, and manage Stripe’s regulatory position in Australia and New Zealand.
The ideal candidate is passionate about Stripe’s mission of helping businesses grow and thrive. We’re looking for someone who is a team player and willing to jump in on tasks of any size. You should be comfortable advising on challenging regulatory structures in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information, collaborating across cross-functional legal and business teams, and passionate about financial technology. Experience in technology, payments and financial services, and a working understanding of financial regulations is a plus, but not required.
- Advise the Stripe product and business teams on a range of regulatory and legal issues including payments and financial regulatory frameworks, regulatory engagement, product expansion, consumer protection, internet regulations, disputes and complaints (pre-litigation) and other legal matters arising out of the services we provide in Australia and New Zealand.
- Partner with a wide variety of teams at Stripe, including product, engineering, partnerships, policy, compliance, and marketing, on a range of issues including regulatory compliance and requests for information, product development and commercialization.
- Work closely with colleagues across Stripe’s global legal team to support Stripe’s regulatory structure, strategic financial partnerships, and other legal matters, including local governance.
- Identify and evaluate business and legal risks, and find creative ways to mitigate them while achieving business goals, including advising on the impact of emerging laws and regulations, and working with Stripe’s Policy team to promote a regulatory environment that supports responsible financial innovation.
- Manage outside counsel to ensure timely and knowledgeable support of critical matters.
- Participate as a proactive business partner and build a trusted advisor relationship.
We are looking for someone who has:
- A law degree.
- A minimum of 3+ years combined relevant experience in a leading law firm, in-house legal department, or regulatory agency, preferably working on the legal and regulatory matters in the technology or financial services space.
- A passion for technology and ability to understand complex business models and product use cases quickly.
- Substantial experience advising clients on regulatory matters in Australia and/or New Zealand; experience advising clients on financial regulatory matters is particularly advantageous.
- Excellent project management skills, attention to detail, and ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Excellent judgment, ability to navigate ambiguity and evolving regulatory spaces, and provide practical, solutions-oriented legal advice.
- An understanding of relevant corporate governance requirements, and experience working with regulators in Australia and/or New Zealand, such as ASIC, APRA, AUSTRAC.
- Be humble, curious about an evolving industry, and have a terrific sense of humour.
- A resume and LinkedIn profile.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.