Country Counsel and Compliance Officer, Thailand (APAC, Thailand)
Help us grow our Compliance team!
Help us build the next generation of global payments infrastructure! Stripe provides tools that make it easier for businesses and entrepreneurs all over the world to grow. We work on some of the hardest technical, commercial, and regulatory problems around, and we’re looking for a regulatory lawyer to join our amazing APAC Legal team in Bangkok as Country Counsel and Compliance Officer for Thailand. In this role you will work with talented people throughout the company, and will deal with a diverse set of matters that straddle financial services, business processes, and technology. The ideal candidate is passionate about Stripe’s mission of helping businesses grow and thrive. We’re looking for someone who is a team player and willing to jump in on tasks of any size. Experience in technology, payments and financial services, and a working understanding of financial regulations is a plus, but not required.
In this role you will:
- Counsel the Stripe product and business teams on a range of issues including payments and financial regulatory frameworks, market expansion, consumer protection, internet regulations, disputes (pre-litigation), data protection and other legal matters.
- Be responsible for designing and executing a scalable regulatory framework to ensure Stripe meets its regulatory and financial service license compliance obligations in Thailand
- Serve as the appointed Regulatory Compliance Officer (RCO) in Thailand, with the applicable financial service regulators (e.g. Bank of Thailand) and perform all responsibilities of said role
- Draft and implement policies, procedures, processes, systems, governance and internal controls for the compliance program, to ensure licensing commitments and legal conditions are met
- Serve as the main point of contact for all regulatory and legal matters in Thailand, and build relationships with regulators and financial partners.
- Prepare and submit timely and accurate regulatory reports and filings as required
- Work closely with other RCOs appointed in APAC and globally, to ensure alignment across the regulatory compliance program
- Actively collaborate with a wide variety of teams at Stripe, including product, engineering, partnerships, compliance, and marketing, on a range of issues related to market expansion, regulatory compliance, product development and commercialization.
- Help build scalable and effective processes for legal review and launch of products in Thailand.
- Manage outside counsel in Thailand to ensure timely and knowledgeable support of critical matters.
- Participate as a proactive business partner to senior managers and build a trusted advisor relationship.
To be considered for this role, you must have:
- A law degree.
- Native level Thai fluency and excellent English proficiency
- A minimum of 8 years combined relevant experience in a top law firm, government agency, and/or in-house legal team, preferably working on the legal and regulatory matters in the technology space.
- A passion for technology and ability to understand complex business models and product use cases quickly.
- Strong communication (both written and verbal).
- Experience working on cross-border matters and working across different cultures.
- Excellent project management skills, attention to detail, and ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Excellent judgment, ability to navigate ambiguity and evolving regulatory spaces, and provide practical, solutions-oriented legal advice.
- Be humble, curious about an evolving industry, and have a terrific sense of humor.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.