Publisher, Stripe Press
Books range from tactical tips on scaling organizations (see: Elad Gil’s High Growth Handbook or Will Larson’s An Elegant Puzzle to industry-shaping ideas that inspire thinking on a broader, intellectual level (see: Tyler Cowen’s Stubborn Attachments or M. Mitchell Waldrop’s The Dream Machine. Today, Stripe Press is a lean but mighty team dedicated to producing, distributing, marketing, and running the business. We’re looking for someone to help us find great books to publish, help scale our current processes, and help Stripe Press reach more readers, broaden our impact, and deepen our relationships with authors and readers.
- Identify what books Stripe Press should publish: Everything Stripe Press does flows from our editorial strategy. In partnership with the Stripe Press team and with the feedback of our readers and followers, you’ll play a key role in curating the Stripe Press portfolio.
- Work with editors and proofreaders to bring ideas to their full expression: While you won’t necessarily be in the text with a red pen yourself, you’ll be building our editorial machinery. You’ll refine ideas and polish writing by playing the role of matchmaker between idea, author, and editors. You’ll define and manage the processes by which all of this happens.
- Tell the story of our books (and Stripe Press): We talk to our readers and followers through author Q&A’s like this one, tweets like this one, subscriber emails, hosted discussions over meals, virtual book clubs, website copy, promotional materials, and other ideas you’ll dream up. You’ll collaborate with authors, Stripes, and readers to capture and communicate the essence of each book and make the connection between our books and Stripe’s values.
- Write the new “book marketing playbook”: Readers learn about books from people, places, and resources they go to when they get curious. You’ll help us build the modern book marketing playbook by diving into the watering holes of the internet, connecting with great thinkers and tinkerers, and identifying homes across the globe where books can and should show up.
- Keep the business humming: Stripe Press runs as a business unit within Stripe. You’ll help us build and refine essential processes, manage budgets, track sales, calculate print runs, and determine which metrics we should evaluate ourselves by. You’ll stay close to Stripes, readers, partners, authors, and followers to help ensure we have actionable data, insights, and feedback to evaluate our work and inform future initiatives.
- Make our authors wildly happy: The author experience is core to Stripe Press. You’ll work with our authors to bring their ideas to life and out into the world in thoughtful, creative, and effective ways. You’ll also help usher them through the publishing journey.
Skills & requirements:
- A genuine interest and experience in the world of publishing and technology.
- Great editorial taste based in an understanding of Stripe’s core audience of developers, startups, big thinkers, and what they’re curious about.
- Relationships with editors.
- A keen sense for creative story-telling and community-building.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Impeccable organization skills.
- A startup mentality with a bias to action and the ability to flex in a fast-paced environment.
Nice to haves:
- Experience collaborating with creative teams.
- Experience with publishing.
- A background in writing, editing, and/or copywriting.
At Stripe, we’re looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You’re encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.