Product Tax Specialist
Stripe’s mission is to increase the GDP of the internet. We build the most powerful and flexible tools for running an internet business globally. We handle billions of dollars each year and enable millions of users around the world to scale faster and more efficiently by building their businesses on Stripe.
For example, Connect is Stripe’s leading product for marketplaces, on-demand services, ecommerce site builders, invoicing platforms, professional SaaS products, fundraising platforms, rental management platforms, and more. By utilizing the power of Connect, users in each of these categories can link multiple parties for the exchange of goods and services. While products like Connect aim to simplify the ability to move money around the world for our users, behind the scenes, Stripes across the company work together to weave in and satisfy applicable laws and regulations, tax being one!
We are looking for a world class tax specialist who loves solving complex problems with cross functional teams to come up with and implement elegant product solutions that satisfy Stripe’s tax obligations. In this function, you will be on the tax team supporting Stripe Connect as well as other products and initiatives.
- Actively collaborate with a wide variety of Stripe teams, including product, engineering, partnerships, legal, accounting, on a range of tax issues related to product development, all while having a strong moral compass and integrity
- Work closely with Stripe’s tax subject matter and regional experts (indirect tax, information reporting, income tax, etc.) to identify tax issues arising from product expansion or iteration
- Help draft and implement tax policies and procedures on issues such as the collection of indirect taxes, the collection and validation of tax information, and tax information reporting to tax authorities
- Support internal user facing teams, such as Account Managers, Sales, User Ops and others to address product needs and user queries as it relates to tax issues
- Be responsible for reviewing and providing guidance on internal processes or external user communications drafted by marketing and/or user operations teams to ensure clear and helpful documentation related to any tax issue/process is made available for both internal and external use
We are looking for someone who has:
- 6-8+ years of cross-border tax experience at an accounting/law firm and/or in-house (financial services industry or at another payment processor), with a very strong preference for individuals with a combination of both accounting/law firm and in-house experience
- A very strong understanding of the U.S. rules around information reporting and withholding, a strong understanding of cross-border tax issues and indirect taxation, and experience operationalizing those rules at scale
- Exceptional time-management and project-management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. You should be able to adjust your communication style based on your audience (users, product teams, advisors, etc.). In this role you will be required to translate tax laws into tax requirements that product and engineer teams will need to incorporate into Stripe products
- The ability to prioritize projects in a fast-changing environment
- A desire to tackle complex problems!
- Empathy, humility and some comedy
Nice to haves:
- An advanced degree or professional qualification (CPA, JD or equivalent, Masters in Tax, or LLM or equivalent) in tax or law
- Experience working in a high-growth, rapidly scaling environment
- Experience working in technology, payments, or financial services
- A willingness to work with a diverse crew of tax nerds who care deeply about Stripe’s tax issues and each other
“Nice to have” really means “nice to have”. It’s completely possible that you don’t have any of these and are still a great fit for the team.
To apply please include the following:
- LinkedIn profile and resume
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.