Product Engineer, Applications
Product Engineers at Stripe work cross-functionally to build excellent products. They recognize great usability and product quality, and work with Product Managers, Designers, and other experts to efficiently implement solutions to user problems. They drive discussion on how to best implement a feature or change, and make decisions that optimize for our users while maintaining good software practices. When faced with uncertainty, they help the team learn through research and iterative experimentation, aiming always to deepen understanding and empathy for our customers.
As a Product Engineer, you will:
- Implement user-facing features and enhancements by working across the stack
- Build delightful experiences for our UI and API layers
- Work with PMs, Designers, and other experts to decide how best to execute on a feature
- Enable rapid execution by making well-informed product decisions on the undesigned details of a product
- Research user needs—through interviews as well as in cooperation with the user research team—then use what you learned to build products, features, and interactions that our customers love
- Contribute to and support a culture of product excellence
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Enjoy building products and features that our customers interact with regularly
- Focus on the impact of all your work—your job doesn’t end when the feature is deployed
- Can build a great experience even when working from low-fidelity wireframes
- Strive to push the bar for product quality for yourself and those around you
- Want to deeply understand users, their problems, and how to solve them
- Love “little big details”
You might work on:
- Building a new Dashboard workflow that helps users set up their SaaS business
- Improving the experience of getting started on Stripe
- Creating tools and workflows for startup CFOs to close their books in the Dashboard
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.