Product Designer, Design Systems
Help build Stripe’s design systems!
Design at Stripe
We believe there are too many barriers to doing business on the internet, and that opportunities are not equally distributed throughout the world. We also think building and growing a business online is a problem rooted in code, language, and design—not finance.
Stripe’s mission is to increase the GDP of the internet and expand economic access globally. We’re designing tools and infrastructure to help our users start, run, and scale an online business from anywhere in the world. That’s where you come in: we’re looking for a diverse set of designers of many disciplines, skills, backgrounds, and specialties to join our growing Design team.
The Design team works across many types of product initiatives at Stripe—from our brand voice and websites to events, web and mobile products, primary qualitative and quantitative research, and even printed publications. And since Stripe’s main audience is other people who build products, we agonize over and take pride in crafting user-friendly and user-focused experiences.
About the Design Systems team
We’re looking for an experienced product designer to design foundational patterns, UI components, tools, and processes that enable designers and engineers at Stripe to create consistent, high quality user experiences. This includes working on Sail, the design system and component library that all of Stripe’s products are built on.
As a product designer on the team, you’ll work at the intersection of design and engineering, driving both decisions that directly impact the design and code quality of Stripe products. You’ll be asked to collaborate with designers and product teams from across the company to design systems, components, and tools that raise the quality and consistency of Stripe product experiences.
- Design and maintain the components, UI patterns, and documentation for Sail, Stripe’s design system and component library
- Work side-by-side with product designers, engineers, writers, and other stakeholders from around the company to develop the tools and processes they need to build world-class user experiences
- Write documentation and usage guidelines that teach designers and engineers how to use components and patterns across design and code
- Design low-level, foundational systems and frameworks that enable product designers and engineers to create high quality user experiences across different product areas, geographies, and platforms
- Uphold Stripe’s high standards for design and product quality
You may be fit for this role if:
Note: It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas—we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in at least one area, and have some interest and capabilities in the others
- Think in systems. You can anticipate how a system will be used and the potential downstream effects of large and small changes.
- Take pride in creating strong foundational systems and understand how to evolve them over time. You can recognize patterns across multiple product areas and predict future needs
- Care deeply about helping other designers and engineers. You understand the needs of both and can design high leverage tools and processes that enable collaboration
- Have experience using a range of design skills (visual design, systems design, user experience design) to deliver compelling design solutions to systematic problems
- Have a sharp eye for detail in design and can collaborate with engineers to ensure the implementation considers that detail when applied with different constraints
- Have experience designing WCAG compliant, accessible interfaces
- Can communicate large, complex concepts to both technical and non-technical stakeholders. You understand that system-wide changes impact more than just designers and engineers and can understand how and when to communicate those changes
You should include these in your application:
- A link to your online portfolio
- Your CV or LinkedIn profile
- A few words about why Stripe is interesting to you
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.