Product Counsel (Machine Learning and Data Products)
The Legal team at Stripe is growing! We’re looking for a motivated individual to join our Product Legal team in the US (San Francisco, Seattle, New York or US remote)! We work on complex technical and legal problems every day, and we’re excited to have you join the team.
Stripe provides tools that make it easier for businesses and entrepreneurs all over the world to grow. We work on some of the hardest technical, commercial, and regulatory problems around, and we’re looking for a product lawyer to join our team. In this role you will work with talented people throughout the company, in particular as a key advisor to the product and engineering teams, and will deal with a diverse set of matters that straddle financial services, business processes, and technology.
The ideal candidate is passionate about Stripe’s mission of helping businesses grow and thrive. We’re looking for someone who is a team player and willing to jump in on tasks of any size. Experience in financial technology, risk, payments and financial services, and a working understanding of financial regulations and rules is not required, but is a plus.
In this role you will:
- Counsel Stripe product teams who develop artificial intelligence and machine learning technologies on a range of issues including regulatory, consumer protection, marketing, intellectual property, and data privacy
- Advise product teams operating at the cutting edge intersection of technological innovation, improvements of e-commerce user experiences, and financial compliance (including know-your-customer, anti-money laundering, and financial partnership rules).
- Actively collaborate with a wide variety of Stripe teams, including engineering, compliance, business development, and marketing, on a range of issues related to product development and commercialization
- Work closely with colleagues across the Stripe legal team to clear key issues impacting the work of members of the team who support Stripe’s regulatory structure, its customer agreements, and strategic financial partnerships
- Help build scalable and effective processes for legal review and launch of new products
- Draft, review, and update foundational documents for product and service offerings
- Stay up-to-date, with the support of Stripe’s legal subject matter experts, on U.S. and international laws and regulations dealing with privacy, data security, consumer protection, financial services, and marketing
- Participate as a proactive business partner to senior managers and build a trusted advisor relationship
To be considered for this role, you must have:
- 6+ years of experience as a qualified lawyer in a law firm, government agency, and/or in-house legal team, preferably working with technology companies on the legal and regulatory aspects of product development in the technology space
- JD degree (or foreign equivalent) with membership in at least one US state bar
- Experience advising clients on artificial intelligence and machine learning products
- A passion for technology and ability to understand complex business models and product use cases quickly
- Strong communication (both written and verbal) and project management skills with a strict attention to detail
- Excellent project management skills and ability work under tight deadlines
- Excellent judgment, and be capable of making smart decisions in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information
It’s a bonus (but not required) that you also have:
- Relevant experience in financial technology, risk, payments and financial services, and a working understanding of financial regulations and rules
- Experience working on the privacy and data protection aspects of product development in the financial services and/or technology spaces, including GDPR and CCPA implementation
- Submit your resume or LinkedIn profile
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.