Help us scale our global product legal team!
The legal team at Stripe is looking for a talented attorney to join our product legal team in the US (San Francisco, Seattle, New York or remote). As counsel supporting our global user supportability and risk teams, you will help some of the most exciting startups, fintechs and other regulated businesses in the market build their products and services on top of Stripe’s platform.
Stripe is a global technology company that builds economic infrastructure for online commerce. We handle billions in transactions each year and enable millions of users around the world to scale faster and more efficiently by building their businesses on Stripe. Stripe operates within a complex and interwoven legal, regulatory, and financial partnership environment around the world. You should be comfortable reviewing and advising on challenging regulatory structures, navigating commercial partnership dynamics and providing advice across cross-functional legal and business teams. Join us and work with a great team to solve hard problems.
In this role you will:
- Serve as counsel for Stripe’s global user supportability and risk teams, helping new and existing users build novel, complex products and services on top of Stripe’s platform
- Work closely with Stripe’s risk, partnerships, financial crimes, product, sales, and other teams to understand and appropriately resolve legal, regulatory and partnership risks in supporting complex user business models
- Coordinate with product, engineering, and other teams at Stripe to support Stripe’s entry into new business verticals
- Scale our user supportability program to help Stripe to onboard more complex users at a higher velocity
- Manage outside counsel across multiple jurisdictions to ensure timely and knowledgeable support of critical user and product work
To be considered for this role, you must have:
- 4+ years of experience as a qualified lawyer working on complex regulatory or technology matters
- A broad legal knowledge that enables you to spot and resolve a variety of legal issues in business models (e.g., regulatory, contract, IP, privacy, consumer protection, risk); and an ability to distill complexity and to identify and clearly communicate practical, risk-based solutions
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of stakeholders–from risk to sales to external financial partners, startups, enterprises, and executives
- A passion for learning about disruptive fintech business models and the intricacies of how they are structured
- Extreme organizational skills
The person we want to hire for this role will also:
- Be curious–willing and able to roll up your sleeves and get into the details of novel and complex business models
- Love technology and be a quick study on new things, how they work, and what they do
- Thrive working on a team in a fast-paced environment with priorities that frequently change and occasionally compete
- Be a great communicator and solid project manager, able to effectively prioritize and advance a large number of matters, often on tight deadlines
Nice to haves:
- Experience with US money transmission laws and regulations (state and federal), financial services regulations, payments, and card network rules
- Experience advising startups on structuring their products and services
- Compliance experience or experience partnering with compliance teams
- Experience developing and/or running processes for scaling your legal advice and creating self-serve resources for clients
- Please include a resume and LinkedIn profile
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.