Onboarding Policy Strategist, AMER
Stripe’s mission is to increase the GDP of the internet. We build the most powerful and flexible tools for running an internet business. We handle billions of dollars each year and enable millions of users around the world to scale faster and more efficiently by building their businesses on Stripe. A very large part of our endeavor is to expand the scope of problems we tackle beyond payments and into the rest of the financial stack.
As Stripe continues to develop innovative products that serve businesses of all sizes around the world, risk will increase in complexity and scale. The Onboarding Policy team is a global team of policy strategists and program managers across products and markets. As part of the Onboarding Policy team, you will protect and advance Stripe’s business, brand and mission, by deploying industry-leading onboarding policies that instill user and partner trust, while enabling business growth for our users!
As part of this team, you will ensure that Stripe’s products comply with regulatory and financial partner requirements. You will partner closely with platform and experience engineers, product managers, as well as experts across Financial Crimes, Risk, Regulatory and Product Legal, Tax, and User Policy, to ensure that the company is able to compliantly achieve strategic business outcomes.
This individual will be a subject matter expert in Stripe’s policy and standards and will provide expert guidance to the business in navigating complex policy areas, escalation and incident management, emerging trends, and risk-based decision-making.
To be successful this person will need to be highly collaborative, analytical, detail-orientated, strategic, comfortable navigating ambiguity and complexity, an extremely strong communicator (both verbal and written) and experienced in working cross-functionally with all levels of seniority.
- Develop comprehensive onboarding policies and procedures for products and launches for strategic emerging initiatives in the US, Canada and LATAM that synthesize financial partner compliance, regulatory compliance, reputation management, and other requirements
- Build exceptional frameworks to enable the effective operationalization of these policies
- Provide expert consultation to internal teams regarding the onboarding of potential users and help to resolve high profile escalations from users or internal stakeholders
- Navigate ambiguity to identify policy, product and operationalization requirements and build internal consensus and alignment around policy proposals
- Develop exceptional documentation and executive briefings to inform strategic policy decisions
- Build the next generation of policy standards and practices at Stripe
We are looking for someone with:
- 8+ years of professional experience, preferably in Financial Services, Payments or fintech industries
- 5+ years experience in a related role (risk, compliance or policy development)
- Experience in developing policy proposals and working with technical (product and engineering) and operational teams to implement enforcement strategies
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills, with an ability to influence stakeholders across functions and borders
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- A results and action-orientated mindset and the ability to lead and motivate others
- The ability to take ownership. You are accountable and drive towards ambitious goals
- Bachelor’s Degree
Nice To Have
Proficiency in one of the following:
- Card network rules and regulations
- Merchant acquiring rules and regulations
- Card issuing products
- AML OFAC compliance
- KYC/KYB compliance
You have experience overseeing execution and delivery of programs/projects. You enjoy taking complex issues and turning them into actionable next steps
Advanced degree in law, policy or other related field
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.