Nodal & Grievance Officer, India
We are looking for a regulatory compliance professional experienced in financial services and technology to act as Nodal & Grievance Officer for Stripe in India. In this role, you will be responsible for the dual functions of regulatory compliance with Reserve Bank of India requirements and overseeing our customer grievance process. You will ensure that Stripe operates in compliance with regulatory requirements in India and engage regularly with the Reserve Bank of India and other regulators as required.
You’ll play a fundamental role in building and operating a best in class regulatory compliance program as Stripe launches in new APAC markets and expands its product offerings in existing markets. Stripe is a global technology company that builds infrastructure for online commerce. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet. We handle billions in transactions each year and enable millions of users around the world to scale faster and more efficiently by building their businesses on Stripe. As a regulated business, our Compliance team plays a critical role in ensuring the compliance and health of Stripe within the broader financial ecosystem.
Stripe is both a technology company and a financial services company, and you will need to be comfortable straddling both of those worlds every day. The right person for the role will enjoy solving that puzzle, seeking creative solutions and moving quickly, often in the face of ambiguity.
- Be responsible for overseeing and handling customer grievances and liaising with the Reserve Bank of India regarding the same.
- Be responsible for designing and executing a regulatory compliance (non-financial crimes) framework to ensure Stripe meets its regulatory obligations in India. This includes helping to build and evaluate compliance controls; maintaining a calendar of compliance obligations and holding workstream owners accountable; managing cross-functional compliance issue management and remediation projects; and conducting cross-functional compliance training.
- Draft and implement policies, procedures, processes, systems, governance and internal controls for the compliance program, to ensure licensing commitments and regulatory conditions are met.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for all India regulatory compliance (non-FC) matters, and build relationships with regulators and financial partners. Clarify requirements and negotiate with regulatory bodies on Stripe’s behalf where required.
- Monitor product launches and/or changes in business models in India to ensure that local regulatory programs reflect such developments and their accompanying regulatory requirements, including timely notifications to regulators.
- Prepare and submit timely and accurate regulatory reports and filings as required.
- Produce regulatory compliance performance reports for management/ board.
- Respond to audits and regulatory assessments and remediate any issues identified from report findings.
- Create training materials for the business, and consult with the business to develop corrective action plans and effectively manage change to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Help owners of regulatory obligations in other teams understand the obligations and standards expected by regulators to build scalable mechanisms and controls.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Minimum 8+ years combined relevant experience in a law firm, government agency, and/or in-house regulatory compliance role (preferably in financial services)
- A passion for problem-solving and building solutions
- Demonstrated experience operationalizing regulatory requirements
- Demonstrated experience building processes from scratch
- Experience interacting with regulators in India
- Ability to work cross-functionally with internal stakeholders
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Humility, unflappability and a terrific sense of humor
- Resume and LinkedIn profile
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.