New Grad Engineer
As a New Grad at Stripe you'll be helping increase the GDP of the internet by building products and processes to help run an online business. This has many hard and interesting challenges which require novel solutions. What is the best developer experience for making payments? How do you balance API versioning while keeping changes fast? How do you build an API generic enough for any marketplace while still being simple?
Here are some past projects by some of our newest Stripes:
- Analyzing how much of a negative balance each merchant should be able to hold. Too much and Stripe runs a risk of fraud, too little and it impacts merchant operations
- Bundling Tax and Shipping costs into a charge flow in a simple and intuitive manner
- Allowing merchants to give granular permissions to different users of their business. At a big company, the CFO shouldn’t be making API calls nor should an engineer be accidentally actioning disputes
- Shipping Stripe to more countries and payment mechanisms (did you know there are > 100 ways to pay in the world?)
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Strong CS fundamentals through a current pursuit of Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD degree in computer science, math or related discipline
- Plan to graduate in the Summer/Autumn of 2019
- Some programming experience (either in class, in your personal time, or at a job). We work mostly in Ruby, with some Scala and Go. However, languages can be learned: we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Take pride in working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise (for example, ¼ of Stripes work in a country that’s different from the one they grew up in). Almost every role at Stripe collaborates with some engineers, from Sales and Support in sharing feedback from our customers; to Legal and Accounting in supporting our systems for tracking money movement and reporting around the world
It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas—we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in at least one area, and have some interest and capabilities in the others. For instance, we have wonderful team members who are really focused on their customers’ needs and building amazing user experiences, but didn’t work on APIs before joining Stripe.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
You should include these in your application:
- Links to online profiles you’d like to share (GitHub, Twitter, StackOverflow, etc) so we can get to know you better!
- A CV
- Due to the high volume of submissions, there may be a delay in receiving a direct reply regarding the status of your application
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.