Monitoring and Risk Assurance Lead, EMEA
Stripe is a global technology company that builds infrastructure for online commerce. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet. We handle billions in transactions each year and enable millions of users around the world to scale faster and more efficiently by building their businesses on Stripe. As a regulated business, our second line of defence team plays a critical role in assuring the risk and compliance health of Stripe within the broader financial ecosystem.
The successful candidate will report to the Chief Risk Officer for Stripe’s regulated entities in Ireland and the UK. You will design and implement programmes of work for ensuring that there is comprehensive and proportionate risk and compliance assurance and monitoring for the Irish and UK regulated entities and agreed additional aspects of the EMEA business. In this role, you will contribute to the compliance processes by identifying opportunities from assurance and monitoring activities for improved adherence to risk and compliance requirements and standards.
The role provides an excellent opportunity for the right candidate to gain management experience while developing and enhancing their skillset in risk management disciplines. The successful candidate will gain wide ranging exposure to Stripe’s diverse range of business lines, senior management and the governance and workings of the organisation.
You will play a key role in working with colleagues across all three lines of defence, to help ensure that all assurance and monitoring activities result in effective combined assurance, eliminating duplication of assurance activities and resulting in meaningful oversight. Oversight of issues arising from assurance and monitoring activities will be a key part of the role.
In this role, you will help to ensure that Stripe continues to promote a culture of compliance and sound risk management by assisting with the implementation of our enterprise risk management program.
In this role you will:
- Lead the design and implementation of a second line of defence Assurance and Monitoring framework, liaising with colleagues across the three lines of defence to ensure efficient and effective assurance coverage in keeping with the responsibilities of each line of defence
- Create an annual second line Assurance/Monitoring Plan (for review and sign off by the Boards of Irish and UK regulated entities), working with Oversight and Internal Audit to avoid duplication/overlap and ensure effective combined coverage
- Execute the approved Plan, carrying out targeted second line Assurance/Monitoring reviews, reporting outcomes, and in an agile manner
- Develop and execute project plans to address remediation efforts and testing review findings, which may include process updates, documentation and/or training
- Provide oversight on tracking and closure of issues arising from review findings
- Contribute to the compliance processes by identifying opportunities for improved adherence to risk and compliance requirements and standards
- Staying abreast of developments in regulatory rules and good practice to ensure the Assurance and Monitoring Framework remains fit for purpose
To be considered for this role, you must have:
- Working knowledge of risk and compliance assurance and monitoring practices, and a good understanding of the risk and compliance issues that a company like Stripe faces
- 5+ years of experience in risk, audit or other control function-type functions in the financial services industry, preferably in fintech/payments
- Strong understanding of industry practices and disciplines ideally having implemented and developed compliance monitoring and testing frameworks in the past
- Adept in creating reporting and presentations which simplify complex themes into understandable communications
- Strong critical thinking, analytical, and data-driven skills
- Excellent cross-functional collaboration skills
- An aptitude for working in a regulated environment and for building compliance by design
- An ability to find solutions to complex and hard problems and ability to turn incomplete, conflicting, or ambiguous inputs into solid action plans
- The horsepower to work in an ambiguous, fast-paced environment and to balance multiple priorities and workstreams
- Strong written and verbal communication skills—including the ability to communicate effectively with different stakeholders across the business.
You should include these in your application:
- A resume and LinkedIn profile
Please find our EU applicant personal information notice here
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.