Market Researcher, Pricing
Put Stripe’s users first.
Stripe’s mission is to increase the GDP of the internet and expand economic access globally. We’re designing tools and infrastructure to help our users start, run, and scale an online business from anywhere in the world. We believe there are too many barriers to doing business on the internet, and that opportunities are not equally distributed throughout the world. We also think building and growing a business online is a problem rooted in code, language, and design—not finance.
That’s where you come in: we’re looking for an experienced Market Researcher, Pricing to join our growing UX Research team to partner with our Pricing and Marketing teams to design, lead, and run research programs that inform our product pricing and packaging strategies, as well as driving additional research to support the business. You will also collaborate with a diverse group of researchers and Stripe’s GTM team from many disciplines, skills, backgrounds, and specialties. We’re looking for a researcher with a breadth of methodological “tools” (including quantitative and qualitative skills), strong executive presence, and the ability to credibly persuade and influence.
The UX Research team is part of Stripe’s Design team and works across many types of brand and product initiatives at Stripe to more effectively and efficiently deliver products and experiences that fulfill user needs. And since Stripe’s main audience is other people who build products, we agonize over and take pride in crafting user-friendly and user-focused experiences.
In addition to conducting primary research, we also enable other Stripes (marketers, sales, engineers, product managers, designers, operations, etc.) to learn and apply research skills to global problems. You will play a role in shaping how we build research as a core competency across Stripe and define how we put users first when conducting research.
As a Market Researcher, you will apply your qualitative and quantitative research skills to build research programs that will inform decisions around customers, products and markets. You’ll partner closely with our Pricing team on multi-product and heavily strategic pricing projects as we grow our product portfolio. You will collaborate directly with the Marketing team to translate insights into actions that will drive business impact.
This is a full-time role based in Seattle, New York, or remote in North America. This would be an excellent opportunity for a seasoned market researcher who is interested in building and applying their craft.
- Lead and conduct complex, multi-phase, and rigorous user and market research using methods such as choice modeling, max-diff, survey research, behavioral data analysis, and user interviews to develop and inform pricing and packaging strategy for Stripe’s products. (e.g., in-depth understanding of repricing impacts on user satisfaction, user experience with our pricing approach, user willingness to pay, etc)
- Partner closely with Pricing, Finance, Go-to-Market, Product, and Data Science leaders to build a strong understanding of the value our products deliver for our users, including the impact of pricing decisions and changes
- Build a research program that gathers insights on a recurring basis and ensures we have a strong understanding of how our pricing changes impact our users, proactively identify pain points and generally ensure our pricing approach creates a positive user experience
- Prioritize research needs and approaches across multiple work streams to work on the right project, scale, and scope at the right time and ensure impact by delivering actionable insights
- Partner closely with other researchers to build out Stripe’s market research practice and infrastructure
- Source and manage research vendors to help augment the work of the research team
- Disseminate research insights to evolve and enhance Stripe’s understanding of user needs and identify innovative opportunities to meet those needs
We’re looking for someone who has:
- 8+ years relevant market research experience working with qualitative and quantitative methods, having conducted and supervised many different types of projects from start to finish (from quick-turnaround to comprehensive global initiatives); with a plus if your work includes developer-focused, B2B or enterprise products
- Pricing strategy and/or research expertise and comfort providing strategic pricing insights to senior leaders across partner organizations
- Can conduct complex research at scale and demonstrate the use of a variety of research methods, especially quantitative methods such as max diff, discrete choice modeling/conjoints. Other methods may include qualitative interviews, surveys, customer journeys, data analysis, or ideation sessions. You have experience working with large-scale data. While you may be more of a quantitative researcher, you demonstrate a fluency across qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Can lead, design, execute, and communicate impactful research in a fast-paced environment and know how to integrate research into marketing, sales, and go-to-market strategies, including product roadmaps
- Distill research findings into clear and compelling stories through data-backed presentations, data visualizations, and/or infographics. You’re skilled in explaining your work, process, and decisions to cross-functional stakeholders and crave feedback to help you produce your best work
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills and use them to effectively roll out large scale research programs
- Relentlessly focus on users and solving for their needs and wants. You put users first and have experience driving impact from insights
- Can successfully set and achieve priorities that find the perfect balance between benefiting the project, the Research team, and all of Stripe
- Can balance working with urgency and focus with methodological rigor and adapt as needed for the situation
- You’ve built or scaled research platforms, systems, or programs at your workplace
- Proficiency in advanced quantitative methods such as choice modeling, max-diff, and SQL is required. Have experience analyzing complex data and building statistical models. Proficiency programming in R or Python is a plus
You should include these in your application:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A written description of why you’re interested in this role and examples of how you’ve exemplified the qualities listed above in your previous work experience
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.