Machine Learning Engineer, Stripe Capital
Many of the millions of businesses on Stripe have trouble accessing the capital they need to grow. Stripe Capital aims to change that. We combine Stripe’s proprietary data with sophisticated modeling to offer businesses on Stripe fast, affordable, and transparent financing. Though still in its early stages, Capital has emerged as one of Stripe’s most promising products.
We’re looking for machine learning engineers to help us build the models and systems necessary to deploy new financial products to our users. As a Machine Learning Engineer working on Stripe Capital, your responsibilities will include architecting complex data pipelines, engineering new features, and automating model training, validation, and deployment.
Capital is a product engineering team that just happens to work with data — meaning you will collaborate with folks from across Stripe to build products that fuel our users’ growth.
- Be actively involved in strategic direction and product decisions.
- Iterate rapidly on features, tooling, and processes as we launch the first versions of new products.
- Work with a wide range of data infrastructure and machine learning systems, including Hadoop, Spark, and a combination of classical and deep-learning methods.
- Perform complex data analysis and use your findings to inform our product roadmap.
- Leverage the best of Stripe’s stack or build from the ground up when prudent.
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Have 6+ years of industry engineering experience with 3+ years on a machine learning team. You will work mostly in Scala and Python. However, languages can be learned. We care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language.
- Combine a rigorous approach to data and ML with a pragmatic focus on delivering value to users.
- Take pride in bridging the gap from machine learning to product engineering.
- Can put yourself in the shoes of your users to craft great experiences.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders.
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source. We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
You should include these in your application:
- A short introduction describing who you are and what you’re looking for. What projects have you enjoyed working on? Which have you disliked? What motivates you?
- Links to online profiles you use (e.g. GitHub)
- A description of your work history (whether as a resume, LinkedIn profile, or prose)
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.