Lead Product Counsel, Payments
Stripe’s Product Legal team is responsible for managing the legal and regulatory elements of the design, build and execution of our products and services. We work on some of the hardest technical, commercial, and regulatory problems around, and we’re looking for a lawyer to lead the Product Counsel team that supports our Payments products. In this role you will be a key advisor to Stripe’s product, engineering and partnerships teams, and will work on a diverse set of matters that straddle financial services, business, and technology.
The ideal candidate is passionate about Stripe’s mission of helping businesses grow and thrives in solving complex legal, technology and business issues in collaboration with others. We’re looking for a player-coach, someone who is a team player and willing to jump in on tasks of any size. Experience in financial technology, payments and financial services will help you be successful in this role.
- Manage a growing team of Product Counsel who are responsible for helping Stripe deliver payments products that are compliant with laws and contractual commitments to our users across the globe
- Help Stripe product teams navigate the cutting edge intersection of technological innovation, e-commerce user experiences, and financial services compliance on a range of issues including payments, regulatory, consumer protection, marketing, intellectual property, and data privacy
- Actively collaborate with a wide variety of Stripe teams, including product, engineering, partnerships, compliance, risk and marketing, on a range of issues related to product development and commercialization, including advising on new and emerging legal and regulatory developments impacting products, including identifying trends and potential impacts on business activities and adapting existing laws to new technologies
- Work closely with colleagues across Stripe’s global legal team to support Stripe’s regulatory structure, its customer agreements, and strategic financial partnerships
- Help scope and build scalable and effective processes for legal review and launch of new products
- Stay up-to-date, with the support of Stripe’s legal subject matter experts, on U.S. and international laws and regulations dealing with privacy, data security, consumer protection, financial services, and marketing
- Participate as a proactive and strategic business partner to senior managers and be a trusted advisor
- Help to grow and develop a Product Counsel team that can learn and move fast to help Stripe navigate a complex and heavily regulated payments environment
We’re looking for someone who has:
- 15+ years of experience as a qualified lawyer in a top law firm, in-house legal team and/or government agency, preferably familiar with counseling teams that solve issues through technology by translating complex legal requirements into clear and actionable advice that helps the business move forward
- A JD degree (or local equivalent) and membership in at least one U.S. state bar
- A passion for technology and ability to understand complex business models and product use cases quickly
- An entrepreneurial spirit – a self-starter who thrives in a fast paced environment, deals well with ambiguity and focuses on driving impact
- Excellent judgment and capable of making smart decisions with imperfect information
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Excellent project management skills and ability to work under tight deadlines
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.