International Tax Provision & Compliance Specialist
Stripe’s mission is to increase the GDP of the internet. We build the most powerful and flexible tools for running an internet business. We handle billions of dollars each year and enable millions of users around the world to scale faster and more efficiently by building their businesses on Stripe.
As technology evolves, so do our tax reporting and compliance obligations, especially with the multitude of US and International tax provisions impacting US multinational corporations. We are seeking an experienced International Tax Provision and Compliance Specialist to support our Income Tax Reporting & Compliance function, specifically on the US taxation of international operations at Stripe. We are looking for a talented individual who will work collaboratively across the organization to lead the design of state-of-the art systems for Stripe’s US GAAP income tax reporting and tax compliance responsibilities. The ideal candidate will have extensive international tax experience in a high-growth technology company, with knowledge of operating in a large-scale, data heavy, dynamic environment.
While the broader tax team is based in Seattle and San Francisco, this position can be based remotely or in either location.
- Help establish the direction, goals, and priorities for Stripe’s US income tax reporting and compliance function, with a strong moral compass and integrity
- Responsible for the quarterly and annual preparation and review of ASC 740 income tax provision for international subsidiaries, including the company’s tax related financial statement disclosures, and documenting uncertain tax positions
- Maintain tax account reconciliations under local GAAP/IFRS and US GAAP, as well as assist with international statutory reporting of taxes
- Manage the preparation and review of US tax compliance related to foreign operations, including 5471s, 8858s, 1120Fs
- Review and monitor foreign tax credit, Subpart F, Section 956 inclusion and related matters and work with the international tax and planning team to ensure completeness and accuracy
- Assist in the calculation and review of tax provision impacts related to restructurings including M&A or internal reorganizations, and the financial statement impacts of potential tax law changes
- Assist in forecast modeling with respect to future effective tax rates and cash taxes
- Develop and maintain strong internal controls processes. Work with internal and external financial statement auditors
- Participate in the company’s non-US tax compliance, including collaborating with the regional tax leads and working with our tax vendors, foreign accounting and regional tax teams to ensure we are meeting our compliance obligations
- Provide support to regional teams in tax audits to resolve tax issues
We’re looking for someone who has:
- 8 + years of relevant tax experience working at an accounting firm or multi-national company
- Robust knowledge of international tax laws and principles, including core international tax concepts of income sourcing, expense apportionment & allocation, E&P, foreign tax credit, GILTI, FDII, BEAT, Section 956, and Subpart F
- A strong background in US income tax compliance and ASC 740 income tax accounting of international operations
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with a proven ability to research and communicate complex technical tax issues clearly to non-tax team members and work effectively across functional teams
- Flexibility to react quickly to changes in tax laws including proposed changes as well as changes in the company’s products and services
- Exhibit strong analytical thinking, ability to work in a fast-paced environment with excellent prioritization and organizational skills
- Empathy, humility, and some comedy
Nice to haves:
- An advanced degree or professional qualification in tax, accounting, or law (CPA, JD or Master’s degree)
- Experience working in a high-growth, rapidly scaling environment
- Industry experience at a multinational organization; experience working in technology, payments, or financial services is a plus
- Practical experience with tax provision software such as Oracle TRCS
- A willingness to work with a diverse crew of tax nerds who care deeply about Stripe’s tax issues and each other
Please include these with your application:
- A resume and LinkedIn profile
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.