Infrastructure Engineer, Traffic
Our users trust us with their businesses and livelihoods, and every request that Stripe handles is critical. We process billions of dollars every year for millions of users, from the largest enterprises to a startup making their first sale. We invest deeply in the reliability and security of our infrastructure to earn their trust.
Within Traffic, we build the platform and infrastructure that sit at the intersection between our secure cardholder environment and the rest of Stripe. You’ll join one of the teams that manages critical company-wide traffic, such as our Edge, Service Networking, or High Assurance Engineering teams.
Our work allows the rest of Stripe to move with urgency without comprising our users. We also work on making it easier and safer to work within the cardholder environment. Our software is one of the few in Stripe that receives every request to our API. At the same time we support numerous teams and products in growing the Stripe payment network.
We’re looking for people with a strong background (or interest!) in systems, software-defined networking, and/or traffic management. Many of our infrastructure engineers work remotely, and we’d be happy to talk to you about the possibility of working remote.
Sample projects/areas of work include:
- Growing Stripe’s multi-region efforts
- Data locality
- Global ingress onboarding, smart routing, and software defined networking
- Secrets management for our secure cardholder environment
- Design, build, and maintain traffic management tools affecting all of Stripe’s engineering teams and users
- Debug production issues across services and levels of the stack
- Plan for the growth of Stripe’s infrastructure
- Build a great customer experience for developers using your infrastructure
- Identify the shared compute needs across Stripe, understand their specific requirements, and prioritize solutions
We’re looking for someone who has:
- A strong engineering background and interest in systems challenges at scale
- Experience building infrastructure as a product centered around users’ needs
- Experience optimizing the reliability and security of distributed systems
- Experience with scaling and migrating systems in a changing environment that allows for little to no downtime
- Experience working with tools such as Envoy, Istio, Consul, Kubernetes, and/or Puppet
- Experience managing PCI compliant environments
It’s not expected that you’ll have deep expertise in every dimension above, but you should be interested in learning any of the areas that are less familiar.
Who you’ll work with
At Stripe, we encourage you to write and speak about your work and share your knowledge! Also, we think it’s important to get an idea of who you’ll be working with. Here are a few Stripe infrastructure engineers giving talks! (If you don’t like to give talks, that’s fine – many very well-respected Stripe engineers don’t.)
- Amy Nguyen, “UX Design and Education for Effective Monitoring Tools”
- Evan Broder, “The Architecture that Helps Stripe Move Faster”
- Oscar Boykin, “Counting Approximately at Scale”
- Andreas Fuchs “I’m not a number, I’m a free file descriptor!!” (this talk isn’t really about “work” so much as “interesting systems things”, but it’s a delightfully Andreas talk)
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.