Infrastructure Engineer, Reliability Patterns and Practices
Build the infrastructure powering economic growth
Stripe’s infrastructure powers businesses all over the world. We process payments, run marketplaces, detect fraud, help entrepreneurs start an internet business from anywhere in the world, build world-class developer-friendly APIs, and more. If you’re an infrastructure engineer here, you’ll get to build the systems that power our products.
Stripe doesn’t process quite as many requests as Twitter or Facebook, but we do care a very great deal about reliability. Every request we process is very important to everyone involved! We can’t go down because our users’ businesses depend on us.
You’ll be on a team that maintains a product we provide to the rest of engineering, like storage or message queueing. You’ll make decisions with a significant impact on Stripe. There is a lot of work to do to make Stripe engineers’ work easier and our platform even more reliable than it is today, and we’d love for you to be part of it. We’re close to the people using our systems, so we constantly get feedback that we can use to make them better.
We have a few dozen infrastructure engineers today spread across several different teams, and you’ll work with other infrastructure engineers as well as product engineers who use the systems you’re building.
We’re looking for people with a strong background (or interest!) in systems. We’d love to hear from you whether you’re a seasoned systems developer, or whether you’ve just learned you might like working with databases. Many of our infrastructure engineers work remotely, and we’d be happy to talk to you about the possibility of working remote.
- Design, build, and maintain the core infrastructure used by all of Stripe’s engineering teams
- Debug production issues across services and levels of the stack
- Plan for the growth of Stripe’s infrastructure
- Build a great customer experience for people using your infrastructure
We’re looking for someone who:
- Thinks about systems — their edge cases, failure modes, and lifecycles
- Knows their way around a Unix shell
- Can debug complex problems across the whole stack
- Focuses on the needs of users, both internal and external
- Holds themself and others to a high bar when working with production
- Is able to write high quality code in a programming language (e.g. Ruby, Scala, Go)
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.