Infrastructure Engineer, Batch Data Platform
Build the offline data platform powering economic growth.
The offline data platform teams own the infrastructure that ingests business data, processes it, and makes it available to a wide variety of partner teams. This platform empowers everything from ML-based customer-facing products to payment reconciliation to financial reporting. Our stack must meet an extremely high bar for security, privacy, and reliability.
We’re looking for people with a strong background (or interest!) in data platforms. We’d love to hear from you whether you’re a seasoned developer, or whether you’ve just learned you might like building systems that run data pipelines.
- Design, build, and maintain core infrastructure used by all of Stripe’s engineering teams
- Debug production issues across services and levels of the stack
- Plan for the growth of Stripe’s infrastructure
- Build a great customer experience for people using your infrastructure
- To get a concrete idea of what projects you might work on here, see the “Projects you could work on” section.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Has experience and interest in working on systems like Hadoop, Spark, Presto, Iceberg, and Airflow
- Thinks about systems — their edge cases, failure modes, and lifecycles
- Knows their way around a Unix shell
- Can debug complex problems across the whole stack
- Focuses on the needs of our users, both internal and external
- Holds themselves and others to a high bar when working with production
- Has a metrics driven approach and can make informed decisions using data
- Is able to write high quality code in a programming language (e.g. Java, Scala, Go)
- It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas. For instance, we have wonderful team members who are really focused on their customers’ needs and building amazing user experiences, but didn’t come in with as much systems knowledge.
Projects you could work on:
We have a ton of important work to do, which is why we’re hiring! Our projects are of course changing all the time, but here are a few projects either that we’ve done in the past, so you can get an idea of the types of work we do.
- Enable faster and robust production snapshotting of our data increasing our security and enabling users to more heavily rely on our platform
- Design and execute on scalable solutions to securing our data’s vast s3 surface area
- Refresh our component lineup by standing up Presto as our query engine. This enables us to robustly achieve a higher volume of queries to empower Stripe’s business
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.