Indirect Tax Technology Lead
Stripe’s mission is to increase the GDP of the internet. We build the most powerful and flexible tools for running an internet business. We handle billions of dollars each year and enable millions of users around the world to scale faster and more efficiently by building their businesses on Stripe. Our tax team works with Stripes across the company to develop an efficient tax structure, as our international business scales and expands into new markets. We are looking for a well-rounded and seasoned tax professional to help us lead this effort.
This function will be responsible for managing the technical implementation of the indirect tax (VAT/GST) requirements within our systems. You will lead the process of converting the tax classification established for our products into a blueprint for the engineering teams, working with the engineering teams to establish and implement the required tax logic, test the output, and establish and review the required data needed for compliance requirements and processes for individual country tax filings. You will work for a rapidly growing company in a fast paced environment, while collaborating with numerous functional teams across our organization. The position will be based in San Francisco or Seattle, although other locations can be supported, and report to the Global Head of Indirect Tax.
- Work closely with our engineering team to design and build a world-class indirect tax calculation, billing and invoicing system for Stripe’s global products and service offerings
- Work with the regional members (EMEA LATAM & APAC) of the indirect tax team to agree and establish the tax classification of Stripe’s products and services
- Draft blueprints and implementation briefs for the respective engineering teams
- Establish change processes necessary to implement changes in tax clarifications, tax rates, or other changes impacting the taxation of Stripe’s products and services
- Liaise with FinOps to ensure appropriate set up of tax requirements and processes for procurement purposes
- Work closely cross-functionally with the product, legal, accounting, logistics, billing, engineering, and various other teams within Stripe to ensure the correct implementation of the taxation & invoicing logic of new products / fees, including testing, and tracing transactions through to the relevant indirect tax returns to ensure correct reporting
- Review Stripe’s existing processes and systems to identify gaps and improvements while converting the findings into system requirements and necessary changes
- Work with external advisers and outside vendors, such as Vertex, Avalara, TTR, or others that provide tax technical and systems information and support, as necessary
- Work closely with the international accounting team to build out our cradle to grave VAT compliance requirements, identifying opportunities for process improvements, etc
- Monitor SAF-T, real time reporting, and split payment developments, e-invoicing requirements, determining application to Stripe, and work with the appropriate internal systems / engineering teams to implement the necessary amendments
We are looking for someone with:
- 12+ years of relevant tax experience with broad knowledge of international Indirect tax (VAT/GST) laws and regulations
- Both public accounting / legal firm and industry experience
- Experience with indirect taxes as it relates to the distribution of digital services and physical products
- Experience in working with various types of systems (Vertex, Avalara, etc.) and engineering teams
- A proven ability to research and communicate technical tax issues clearly to non-tax team members and work effectively across all functional teams
- The ability to develop and mentor other members of the organization
- A strong indirect tax (VAT/GST) and ERP systems technical tax background that enables you to develop and implement tax strategies
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Flexibility to adapt quickly to changes in tax laws, as well as changes in our services
- Humility, empathy and some comedy
It would be nice if you have:
- An advanced degree or professional qualification in tax or law
- Experience working in technology, payments, or financial services
- Experience working in a high-growth, rapidly scaling environment
- A willingness to work with a diverse crew of tax nerds who care deeply about Stripe’s tax issues and each other
“Nice to have” really means “nice to have”. It’s completely possible that you don’t have any of these and are still a great fit for the team.
To apply please include the following:
- LinkedIn profile and resume
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.