Head of EMEA Risk Policy
Stripe’s mission is to increase the GDP of the internet. We build the most powerful and flexible tools for running an internet business. We handle billions of dollars each year and enable millions of users around the world to scale faster and more efficiently by building their businesses on Stripe. More than 80% of American adults bought something on Stripe in the last year.
The Risk team plays a critical role in the company’s financial and partnership health. As the Head of the Risk Policy team in the EU, you will ensure that Stripe has a deep understanding of the partner rules and regulations related to payments products and other financial services in the EU. You will take responsibility for setting Stripe’s risk policy that should be operationalized to comply with these requirements, appropriate enterprise risk management practices, and achieve strategic business outcomes by effectively managing risks. This should be done in collaboration with internal teams and external industry counterparts.
- Be responsible for deploying, maintaining and evolving a proactive risk awareness and management culture through the regional business which remains relevant to the prevailing business strategy and regulatory environment
- Ensure Stripe’s Risk controls are at firm-footing for both payment networks and regulatory compliance
- Represent Stripe on a variety of risk-related topics before regulators, banking partners, and other key audiences
- Develop comprehensive written policies in the EU and work with global cross-functional teams to ensure development of formalized procedures consistent with policies
- Build an approach for collecting intelligence on the EU market, financial partner rules and regulations that should inform our policies and risk management
- Define strategic priorities and implement effective risk governance practices within the risk appetite as defined for the region.
- Have the appropriate leadership, staffing, oversight programs, board and committee structures thus providing a platform for growth and stable management of business risk and return.
We are looking for someone who has:
- Payments risk knowledge and external credibility
- Deep understanding of the types of risks a company like Stripe would face
- 10+ years of experience leading risk and compliance policy organizations in the financial industry, preferably in payments and with EU wide scope
- Ability to build relationships with industry counterparts, regulators, and Stripe board
- Can create a culture of rigor around risk management while helping teams prioritize on key priorities
- Strong analytical thinker and decision maker: can develop and articulate clear logic for decisions and policies
- Technically minded; experience working in environments that rely heavily on technology driven risk management
- Strong business focus, with experience leading a risk function in a growth organization
- Strong leadership skills and displayed ability to create risk culture in a high growth oriented organization
- The ability to lead with urgency and is in the details on things that matter; can lead teams through time-sensitive and high pressure issues
- Communicates well to the broader organization; compelling vision and clear organizational interfaces
“Candidate must meet the minimum requirements under the Central Bank of Ireland fitness and probity regime and have the capability and experience to function as PCF-14 CRO”.
Please find our EU applicant personal information notice here
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.