Head of Tax
Help lead, build and scale our global tax infrastructure!
The Head of Tax will have responsibility for managing the global tax planning, policy, compliance, tax products, and controversy functions for Stripe. They will work cross-functionally and closely with leadership from groups across finance, sales, engineering, product, and legal in order to make the best long-term and profitable business decisions that comply with tax regulations.
Serving as a leader within the finance organization, the Head of Tax will provide leadership in balancing the appropriate long-term tax planning strategies that will produce the best mix of long-term cash tax savings, business operational efficiency, while minimizing the associated risk that comes with those planning ideas. They will also lead and mentor a growing team of tax professionals, while building and scaling the tax function into a world-class organization.
The Tax team has the unique opportunity to truly integrate itself into Stripe’s existing products and services. Stripe’s users demand that we help develop tax solutions for them, and the new Head of Tax will have the unique opportunity to partner with engineering and product teams across the company to develop Stripe’s internal and user-facing solutions.
- Manage the global tax function, including all organizations within the team: planning, product, corporate tax reporting, user information reporting, and policy.
- Evaluate the current international tax structure and recommend any changes or planning ideas that will optimize the structure.
- Communicate our tax planning, goals, risks, and priorities to senior management and the audit committee.
- Manage the tax compliance process, including our global income tax returns, indirect tax returns, and information reporting requirements (1099-K’s).
- Assess and advance the current reporting and planning processes through the implementation of automated solutions and improvements in the team’s usage of internal system solutions to solve complexities of large data sets and complete routine and recurring tasks that will allow for the organization to scale.
- Advise the corporate development and legal teams on proposed business transactions, such as an acquisition; work closely with the business units after transactions to determine post-acquisition integration planning.
- Accurately forecast our cash and effective tax rates.
We’re looking for someone with:
- 15+ years of progressive tax experience; preference for time spent in high-growth, publicly traded technology / financial service / highly regulated companies and prior experience managing complex global tax structures and business models.
- Exposure to working in a fast-paced, engineering driven organization; working with key stakeholders across various engineering organizations, including product teams, is a must.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, with the ability to discuss complex tax technical issues with senior leadership who will not have the same level of tax sophistication; communication of key issues in a concise and understandable manner is imperative.
- Ability to develop and maintain partnerships with cross-functional organizations within the Company, while managing a small, but high-performing team that will continue to grow.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting / Tax; Masters in Tax, JD, or PHD in Economics preferred.
What it’s like to work at Stripe:
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
You should include these in your application:
- Resume and LinkedIn profile.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.