Tax Reporting Lead
The Tax Reporting Lead will be responsible for income tax returns and related compliance as well as statutory and SEC audited financial statements and disclosure. Stripe leaders are hands-on leaders. Accordingly, the Tax Reporting Lead will not only have to design automated systems, master the technicalities of the applicable rules, but be able to communicate in a simplified fashion to non-tax people. This position will report to the Head of Tax. This position will be based in Seattle; however, an extended transition in San Francisco is acceptable.
Our tax team also works with Stripes around the globe to ensure not only that our tax obligations are met but that we assist in inventing products that our users find useful. We are looking for a Tax Reporting Lead who will work collaboratively across the organization to lead the design of state-of-the art- systems for Stripe’s US GAAP income tax provision and tax compliance responsibilities. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in a high growth technology or regulated public company, with knowledge of operating in a large scale, data heavy, dynamic environment.
- Establish the direction, goals and priorities for the tax reporting function, with a strong moral compass and integrity.
- Lead the global tax provision for the US GAAP income tax accounting cycle, including owning the company’s tax related financial statement disclosures, supporting the quarterly and annual interim reporting periods, and documenting uncertain tax positions.
- Manage the completion and review of the company’s US (and state income tax compliance and payment obligations. International tax compliance and reporting obligations may also be within scope.
- Communicate with the rest of the tax team, as well as other finance leaders and the audit committee regarding key tax matters, including at the planning stage.
- Design and Implement new systems, processes and controls with a focus on building for scale, automation and accuracy.
- Participate in domestic tax audits.
- Develop and maintain strong internal controls processes.
- Provide forecasts and guidance with respect to future effective tax rates and cash taxes, based on pre-tax forecasts.
- Manage special projects as needed including tax attribute studies, analyzing the impact of M&A, partnerships, investments and internal reorganizations from a tax accounting and compliance perspective, and analyzing the impact of potential tax law changes.
You should have:
- 10-15 years of relevant tax experience, including in public accounting and at a multinational publicly listed company.
- Experience with growing a tax reporting function and building processes for scale, including tax modelling.
- Expert knowledge of US GAAP tax accounting and financial statement disclosures relating to taxes.
- Significant experience with managing US tax compliance obligations, including analyzing and documenting tax positions.
- A proven ability to research and communicate complex technical tax issues clearly to non¬tax team members and work effectively across functional teams and senior leadership.
- Flexibility to react quickly to changes in tax laws including proposed changes) as well as changes in the company’s products and services.
- The ability to develop and mentor other members of the organization.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
It would be nice if you have:
- An advanced degree or professional qualification (CPA, JD or equivalent, Masters in Tax, or LLM or equivalent) in tax or law.
- Experience working in a high-growth, rapidly scaling environment.
- Experience working in technology, payments, or financial services.
- Experience to work with SQL directly or indirectly
- A willingness to report to a Head of Tax whose stories are not nearly as entertaining as he thinks they are
“Nice to have” really means “nice to have”. It’s completely possible that you don’t have any of these and are still a great fit for the team.
To apply please include the following:
- Resume and LinkedIn profile
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.